MikesXS Harness Question for 1972 XS2

Shawnyd123

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello again everyone! I have a 1972 xs2 that has the stock wiring harness on it. I ordered a new one from mikesxs and while attempting to install it, I noticed that it doesn't have the brown wire from the safety relay at the coils. Just the red/white one. My old harness has the red/white and brown wires and if the brown is not hooked up, I have no electric start. My question is, Is it a screw-up on the new harness to not have the brown starter relay wire coming out at the coils? Or, is that on purpose, because of a new wiring scheme or something? I emailed Mikesxs about it, but got some general response telling me what the wires do, which I already know. Has anyone here ever ordered/installed a Mikesxs wire harness for a 1972 xs2? If so, did it have the brown wires at the coils or not? Thanks guys, and I look forward to your response.

Hopefully someone can answer your question.I have a 72 as well although I haven't done any work on it yet, I may need a wiring harness.My bike does not have an electric start.Perhaps your harness is for a non-electic start bike.

I'd like to know too what this brown wire is doing: on mine all the insulation was burned out... I am installing a Boyer AND a Sparx...

Back