MikesXS seats

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the '74-79 seat from Mikes? I have a really nice seat for my '75 but, man, is it hard. I guess the innards have stiffened up over time (or is that just how they are?).

I was wondering how comfortable Mikes seats are. Do they fit well?

I'm kinda like you, dude. I need a new one for my '76 but I'd like to know what they are like before I spend that dough. The prices seem quite reasonable but I wonder if they are the quality of the originals.

The answer to that is "no, but nothing is, except a NOS".

You would *probably* be better off getting yours re-upholstered, if the seat pan is in good shape. Find a cover on ebay, rip it all down yourself, clean the pan off, go talk to an upholsterer with the cover in hand. Probably less money in the end, and a better quality, and custom fit to your ass.

I have had one on my 1977D for two seasons. It's comfortable, and reasonably well made. When I installed it, I had to loosen the hinge brackets on the seat in order to insert the hinge pins, but that was all. The cover doesn't have as much "grain", or texture, as the original cover, but it still looks good. It has held up well, and I am happy with it so far.

Has anyone tried the '74-79 seat from Mikes? I have a really nice seat for my '75 but, man, is it hard. I guess the innards have stiffened up over time (or is that just how they are?).

I was wondering how comfortable Mikes seats are. Do they fit well?

I put the $200 MikesXS seat on my 77 about a year ago. It fit just fine. I have no complaints about the feel of the seat. It has a document compartment on the bottom of the pan. Seems like it is reasonably durable (but I park mine inside and don't ride in the rain). The only real drawback is the apearance. It is not a sewn through cover - the stitching is molded in. Upon close inspection, it has a few puckers in the vinyl. I would rate it between good and fair.

For $300.00 or so you can have a custom, best seat ever like this in any shape you wish.

IMG_1446.jpg

or this

IMG_1187.jpg

That's a cool seat, but this is for a restoration. I got the bike running yesterday and rode it around the neighborhood. I have to say, it was only a mile or so, but the seat is more comfy than I thought.
I guess Sargent can restore stock seats, too, huh?

Back