MikesXS Stainless Valves - Anyone else having trouble with them?

My intention is to not start, or have, a pissing contest in regard to whos head performs better. I know some of the boys on the left coast are having some success with D-shaped ports on early Triumph heads, while maintaining the integrity of the hemi combustion chamber; but the D-shaped ports are not as radically shaped as are the ports on Jacks head.(would love to see the flow ##s on the head when Jack is finished;) never the less, we know it (D-shaping the port) works as long as the entire length of the intake tract follows suite. And all I can say is, Jack is a vary ambitious fellow. I don't have the time at this point to get that involved with an XS head, or any other bike. Im building boat motors at this point (BIG 2 Strokes) in any event the commit I made in regard to valves on a conventionally ported XS head is sound logic and proven. If your going to rebuild a head why put it together with parts that are substandard??? If you cant afford the go fast parts that have been proven on and off the track, stick with the best stock parts you can get your hands on; and measure everything; twice.....
Good luck, I'll stop back in next time its too damn cold to do anything else.

If your going to rebuild a head why put it together with parts that are substandard??? If you cant afford the go fast parts that have been proven on and off the track, stick with the best stock parts you can get your hands on; and measure everything; twice.....
Good luck, I'll stop back in next time its too damn cold to do anything else.

Got me there. :laugh: I just wanted to freshen up my head, and opted for replacement Stainless valves. Should have measured them when I put them in... :banghead:

Was not condoning use of knurling, just showing what it was and what it did etc. Never done it and it always sounded a bit shit to me.

Great info, thanks all. I had also been planning on using those stainless valves and you have just saved me $100 and a massive headache!

Maxx........no stink from this end,just an excuse to post some shots:laugh: The D ports( Pulled two different versions) are proven themselves to be worth the effort. They're hanging right with some of my best work on a standard ported port but with less port volume and cross sectional area. I'll post the #s soon,I'm throwing everything from the kitchen sink to the outside grill at these heads,might be another two weeks before I call it quits and move on to crank,etc.

Update. I have about 200 miles on the engine just doing in town riding and some on the interstate running 75 mph or so. The engine has quit smoking completely. Just from installing 35 year old valves... :thumbsup:

I'll keep watching to see what you guys come up with, I have just ordered Mikes SS valves, will have to see how they go, won't be pulling it down again as the motor will be fully rebuilt.
How bad were they punskalar..?? smoke on start up or 80's rock video smoke..??

*EDIT*

Just read pages 2 & 3 of this post - Duh...

So great, maybe I'll have to look at steel valves, will measure up the Mikes SS valves when I get them & will post stem sizes & will decide from there...F**K

Hope there OK.

Last edited:
Just miced up my new Mikes SS valves, they are fine. So I don't see why I should have any problems from them.

Just got some new stainless exhaust valves from 650 Central who gets them from Mikes. Since nobody has the stock ones and I don't want to wait any longer. We'll see how they work. I measured the stems in three places and both valves measure 0.3135", so at least they appear to be made well. My intakes are new regular ones.
Greg

Back