Mikuni Carb'd Bobber/Was running fine 'til I messed with her

rcautox

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker first time poster. Had planned on building a bobber then found this beauty selling for less than I budgeted and probably a better build over all! I'm new to carbs so bear with me.

Dual Mikunis w/open air elements, kick start only, no vacuum petcock, no gauges, wicked tidy wiring setup. Ran fine since I bought her in June.

I let her sit with our (Houston, TX) 10% ethanol for a few months. 93 octane fuel had octane booster but no Stabil. She sounded like crap when I went to ride a few weeks ago so I drained the fuel, added new plus octane booster. Started, idled fine and seemed to run ok (very short test ride) but was dripping gas from the carb overflows.

Decided to clean the carbs even though they're less than a year old. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them out with carb cleaner. Nothing was sticky, floats well floated and based on all the forums and you tube videos my Mikunis looked clean as can be.

Thought the petcock might not be closing (but even open carbs shouldn't over flow??). Pulled it open and saw the gasket very slightly messed up so I put in a new one.

Put everything back together and tried to start her.
-Choke on she fires first kick but very high revs. Dies as soon as I choke off or after a few seconds
-Second kick choke off (found she floods otherwise). If she starts I'll hear some light backfiring, no matter what dies quickly. Puff of smoke out of the air filter.
-After she dies on the second kick I hear some ticking noise from the carb or out the exhaust. Can't tell which.

Possible issues.
-I wasn't sure how to remove the carbs so I started to unscrew the nut at the top of the carb that connects the throttle wire to the needle (?) on one carb. I screwed it back to the same height as the other carb.
-I basically unscrewed the "top" of the carb (opposite the float bowl) then removed it from the engine. This left the top of the carb, needle, cylinder + return spring that allows air in the carb on the bike.
-I did not adjust the floats or unscrew anything else on the carb.
-I certainly smell gas so I think the carbs are getting fuel but I've been wrong before when it comes to carbs.

Pics of my bike included to entice help lol

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 109
I don't know what kind of ignition you have, but if it's breaker point type that's where I'd start trouble shooting. I wrote a VM series Carb Guide once and I'm not going to write it again just for you. Go to the Tech section and click on the link.

Back