Mikuni vm34 jetting

Chop089

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all

I bought some mikuni VM34 carbies after giving up on my BS38's, they haven't arrived yet but I know I will need to reject them to suit my mods, I hav velocity stacks and 1.5" open exhaust too and need to jet to suit these mods. Can anyone help?

Sorry, no. No one here knows a thing about VM carburetors. You can confirm that with a fast search and a click on the "Tech" button.

I already read the manuals but can't make sense of it, I must hav made a mistake I thort this place was for people who needed help to be able to ask people who have more experience, didn't know it was for smartasses to write useless comments for no good reason thanx for clearing that up wit me

I find it humorous that some senior members spend their time reading new posts and making sarcastic comments to new members. It says a lot about their personal life, and that they have way to much free time on their hands. I spend too much of my time wrenching and riding, and hopefully I never get that bored.

I think some of the more knowledgeable members are in need of a lesson in humility. This is how a site/forum dies off, people driven away by pompous asses. Seems to be a downward spiral as of late.

StFu

- - - I know I will need to reject them to suit my mods, - - - Can anyone help?

Hi Chop,
if you need to reject them, chuck the bastards in the bin or put them on E-bay and try to get your money back.
But as I recognize that you really need to rejet them, start with racerdave's recommendations and see how that works.

In the rules and guidelines, it encourages members who have been around awhile to not be rude to new members or scare them away. That does always happen, but we want this to be a friendly place.

I find jetting to be a pain in the ass, once you understand the importance though it'll make more sense. Lot of these guys will help you out, but you have to read that manual cause everything is on there. Read, re read and then read again.

One way to get better help is to give the impression that you have tried to solve the problem by looking at the resources yourself. A post something like this might have been more effective:

"Hi, guys. I bought some Mikuni 34s to put on my XS. I know that they are going to need to be configured for my bike but I looked through and read all the stuff in the Tech section and can't make heads or tails of what I read. Can any one help me? Or at least give me some kind of an idea of where to start?"

That baseline jet list is the one I recommended in the VM Carb Guide, with the omission of the suggestions of P-5 NJ and 22.5 PJ as options. I don't understand why some people can comprehend only what's written just for them. I don't think I even want to understand that kind of mind. This is my last post on carburation. I'm done.

One way to get better help is to give the impression that you have tried to solve the problem by looking at the resources yourself. A post something like this might have been more effective:

"Hi, guys. I bought some Mikuni 34s to put on my XS. I know that they are going to need to be configured for my bike but I looked through and read all the stuff in the Tech section and can't make heads or tails of what I read. Can any one help me? Or at least give me some kind of an idea of where to start?"

Or you could just read what he wrote and deduced that he knew there would need to be special exceptions for the mods disclosed in the original post. The fact he is asking specifically about them would indicate to anyone he just didn't wake up and decided to ask a random question. Meaning he would have to have learned it somewhere and was asking for clarification to which he received an shitty response. I don't care how it was worded, anyone with a partial grasp of the English language should have been able to pick up on it. But hey, lets keep making up excuses....

StFu

Hi all

I bought some mikuni VM34 carbies after giving up on my BS38's, they haven't arrived yet but I know I will need to reject them to suit my mods, I hav velocity stacks and 1.5" open exhaust too and need to jet to suit these mods. Can anyone help?

Its understandable to not be certain your jetting would be the exact as someone across the country with different fuel, air filters, performance mods, ignition etc

IMO the important step is what's done after you put that baseline jetting as offered above.
1st do an idle drop to ensure the pilots are correct. While insignificantly at times the pilot effects the entire system.
Then move to needles. Most people assume the main is the first step. In reality you're only on the main jet totally 25%. 3/4 to Wide open.

Posted via Mobile

Back