Mini drum front brake???

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I may want to throw a front brake on down the road, and I really prefer the look of a drum brake over disc, so what would be the simplest/most cost efficient way to add a front brake? Currently, I have a stock xs front end, stock hub (late 70's) i believe that is meant to have a disc, but I'm just running it without for now. My hub is laced to a 21" DID rim. I'd also much prefer to keep the 21" front.

a mini drum is only for holding on a hill, it is pretty useless once you are moving. Lace a full size drum to a 21" if you want to, I did it relatively easy.

a mini drum is only for holding on a hill, it is pretty useless once you are moving. Lace a full size drum to a 21" if you want to, I did it relatively easy.

yeah that's what i'll do then. the front drum brakes for xs are pretty rare/pricey though right? could you post a couple pics of yours?

rather, I just read on an old post from a different site (bobber talk) that sportster drum front wheels run the same dimension axle (17mm) as the xs. So, IF that is accurate, can I simply buy a sportster front wheel with drum brake and slap it right on my xs front end? Obviously there would need to be some spacers made, but would that be it? it can't be that easy...can it?

rather, I just read on an old post from a different site (bobber talk) that sportster drum front wheels run the same dimension axle (17mm) as the xs. So, IF that is accurate, can I simply buy a sportster front wheel with drum brake and slap it right on my xs front end? Obviously there would need to be some spacers made, but would that be it? it can't be that easy...can it?

you just need to make new axle spacers, it is the same size axle, I have a that wheel if your interested

i have a polished harley drum hub just got laced to a 21x3.25 rim everything is new. let me know if your interested by sending me a pm. will to let it go cheap as i dont want to go that direction anymore. its a 17mm bearing as well

thats exactly what I did. replacement brake shoe lining can be found online , sometimes NOS shoes show up on ebay, and bearings are cheap on ebay also. .
1370340305.jpg

they are ascot headpipes from mikesxs, the rest is just old chromed exhaust tubing to a pair of cocktail shakers. the mufflers aren't supported, so they have cracked a few times as you can see. One of these days I'll redo the exhaust...

thats thats the hub i have to offer. same as james. its laced and ready to go on a 21" rim. i got your pm milkjesus. this gives you an idea...ill send pictures tonight or tomorrow.

I just bougt nice Honda XL 200 / 250 front wheel with nice, small drum brake. it's gonna look pretty cool. 21 inches spoked front and alloy, 16 inches, original XS whhel rear.

Back