Mirror adapters....not your normal request

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have a set of really nice, brand new, Yamaha mirrors that fit, look and work great.

Only problem: I swapped the master cylinder out for one with conventional threads. I can find plenty of adapters to run "regular" mirrors in the reverse threads, but nothing to adapt the reverse thread mirrors to a standard hole. Am I making sense?
Where can I get an adapter to run a LH thread mirror in a RH thread hole?

Nope.
Already searched all those places.

MikesXS has adapters to run a RH thread mirror in your LH thread, stock Yamaha master cylinder. I need the opposite: a LH thread mirror in a RH thread m/c.

The others are just extenders for RH/RH threads.

My xv250 came with a regular mirror cross-threaded into the right side (it fit fine), so you could do that if you are not fussy. I replaced it with a proper mirror.
Also you could buy mirror extenders ($20 on ebay) and install the right one using the RH bolt from the left one. Hopefully you would have a RH bolt to use for the left one, or you could buy a bolt.

I have Scott's problem, a nice set of mirrors (the ones from MikesXS that have the fisheye insert) with RH thread for the LH mirror and reverse thread for the RH mirror. Despite the blanket statements on Mikes site and elsewhere I have two '81 XS650s, both of which have regular RH thread in the mirror mount holes in their stock front brake perches. If I can't find an adapter I'll try to get a helicoil kit for a reverse thread and I'll drill and tap the perch for that.

You can tap that hole and skip the helicoil part. The hole will just have two threads-one left and one right. It gives a little less thread area, but no worries for a mirror.

John

I ran into the exact same problem with a pair of #16-4653 mirrors and a #08-6009 master cylinder from Mike's. No product I could find from Mikes or anywhere else properly addresses this problem.
Fortunately, the mirror mounting boss is a little higher than the one on the clutch cable perch. Rather than helicoil the replacement master cylinder boss, I cut the LH threads off the mirror stem and re-threaded it RH. This brought the right-side mirror down to level with the left side.

>cut the LH threads off the mirror stem and re-threaded it RH.

Now, that is a good idea...thanks, osteoderm (skin and bones?)

Back