Mirror talk

kent_in_kc

Heartlander
Reaction score
My bike is still out of tune and vibrating pretty rough (I'm not finished) so maybe its just me, but...

When you're going down the road can you see anything in your mirrors better than a blur?

I ordered some round mirrors from Mikes and they won't stay adjusted on the road. I have the stalks tightened down with LocTite but the mirror heads won't stay adjusted on the stalks anything over about 60MPH. The wind stream blows them inward. Also, the glass itself was distorted like a funhouse mirror even with the engine off!

I emailed him and asked him to replace them with good mirrors but he still hasn't answered my last email.

Any recommendations? I like the round look but may have to go to another type to get mirrors that work.

I have the rectangular mirrors from mikes and they stay alinged just fine even at 90+mph but it is all blury and any kind of speed, I usually just have to pick out headlights or outlines of cars to know whats behind me.

Basically I think a heavy mirror does better. Mine came with one mirror (well-made, not sure what brand it is) which works fine. I put a lightweight Koso mirror on the other side which blurs at most speeds.

- i didnt have mirrors worth the inspection they were there to fulfil until i rephased and even then i would rather shave without one
- got my mirrors from kedo and have no problems with them
- good luck with your reclamation

I also have the stock-look replacement rectangular mirrors from Mikes. They stay put and the vibration isn't too bad. Chrome's cheap on them, though. I have to scrub them with steel wool and PB Blaster on a regular basis to keep the rust gremlins at bay, and it's still a slowly losing battle.

I think that, once you get your carbs dialed in, the vibes seen in your mirrors will be reduced.

I have the round mirrors from mikes and emailed him for the very same reason. I had two things against me; 1 by the time I got my bike running I had my mirrors over 30 days, 2 he wouldn't have taken them back anyway. Statement that the bikes shake and that all mirrors would move.

If it wasn't for the 30 days I would have fought to return them because they are crap. The only reason I have left them on is to stay legal, they are worthless.

I have the rectangular mirrors (Mikesxs I suspect) that the PO pull on. They stay put and readjust quite easily. I like them, but yes the images are blurred..........that's just part of the charm of these bikes.

I had an ell cheapo bar end mirror that I took off another bike, but it fell off on the highway a couple weeks ago. Haven't bothered putting another one on yet.

The Napoleon bar ends are supposed to be halfway decent. I bought a set for my Norton but haven't installed them yet. They look to be reasonably well made. I'm thinking I'll probably go with a set of these for my '78 cafe project.

Back