Miss November XS2 tribute

I might just finish up the face of the cover by rubbing on a piece of fine wet & dry paper glued to a sheet of plate glass.

Well, that's what I did:

PICT2186.JPG

Then, had a go at removing the worst scratches on the 'public' side:

PICT2183.JPG

Just some rubbing with wet or dry paper then cloth and Solvol Autosol. Other metal polishes are available. Yesterday the filter cover drew blood, so while I was at it took a file to the rough edges near the screw holes.

Obviously not trying to reach XSive standards, but it's good enough to keep me happy.

Well, that's what I did:
View attachment 166192

Then, had a go at removing the worst scratches on the 'public' side:
View attachment 166191

Just some rubbing with wet or dry paper then cloth and Solvol Autosol. Other metal polishes are available. Yesterday the filter cover drew blood, so while I was at it took a file to the rough edges near the screw holes.
Obviously not trying to reach XSive standards, but it's good enough to keep me happy.

Are you sure that is your filter cover Raymond?

The skies looks suspiciously sunny in those photos....for anywhere in the UK I've ever visited...;)

Made a gasket and fitted the oil filter cover. Circular, so easy peasy.

Removed the old sump. As usual, gasket did not come away in one piece so spent ages removing bits of gasket from under the engine. Nitromors, craft knife, soft metal scraper, an old pan scourer. It's mostly off.

Set about making a gasket for the sump. Easy to trace around and define the outer edge. But how do you define the inner edge? Method I have used in past is place gasket paper on the face of the component and go round gently tapping with a ball hammer. But today, had a better idea:

PICT2187.JPG

Photocopied the sump. You can see the towel I draped over coz the lid wouldn't shut. Then, cut the central area out from the photo, traced round it onto the gasket paper. Scissors and leather punches et voila:

PICT2188.JPG

Should be good.

Tomorrow, the Smedspeed sump will go on.

Easy to trace around and define the outer edge. But how do you define the inner edge?
Here's another method I use.... spread a light smear of grease on the mating surface then press it firmly down on the paper. Grease transfers to the paper and gives you a quick, well defined outline of the inner and outer edges... as well as the holes.

You really want to get the sealing surfaces "eat-off-it" clean if you want the best insurance against leaks. That sump plate with all the gasket remnants around the bolt holes won't do. A bit more paint stripper in those spots should do the trick.

That sump in the photo won't be going back on, at least not for a while. My efforts today have been spent cleaning the sump face under the engine. Which is now very nearly spotless. Tomorrow, the sump with the Smedspeed filter will go on.

Jim, simple but brilliant. I guess you're quite good at this sort of thing . . .

A lifetime spent as a mechanic.... you pick up a few tricks along the way. ;)

Jim, your top-end rebuild guide is de bible.

Today, I'll fit the sump then there will be a hiatus until tools and bits arrive. Maybe a little bit of tinkering and tidying. T&T?

Don't feel like pulling the back end apart to swap the swing-arm right now. Don't feel like I should start pulling the wee Honda apart for restoration right now either.

Plenty of time right now. But it's difficult to plan in these strange times.

Sometimes feel guilty - there's other folk suffering far worse problems. There always are of course but the whole perspective on life is just totally screwed up right now.

:offtopic:

Back