missing 1976 xs650 front rim, hub, rotor and front caliper

hi guys! may I know what other yr models are interchangeable with the '76 rim, rotor & caliper setup?
TIA
Hi cocinero and welcome,
The first year disk brake is an orphan, I think that '73/'74/'75 parts will work on your '76 but others may know better.
FWIW, ANY '73 or newer front wheel will fit although '77 & newer wheels will need the '76 or earlier two-piece brake disk
(it bolts right on) to work with the '76 & earlier caliper.
If you can source the parts locally I'd advise swapping the front fork for the '77 & newer 35mm forks, brakes and all because they don't flex as much as the earlier 34mm forks (and yes, they'll fit your '76 frame)

Fred is right, i will clarify some points and add some info.

I will address the 34mm fork and some differences.

Hubs;.....All front wheel hubs from 73-79 Standards,........... and Special spoke wheel models...........79 Special II, 80G Special II and 81H Special II, can be used on your 76C front forks

All these are 36 spoke hubs and can be used on your bike.

Rims
;.....73TXA front rim is Chrome on Steel and has a different profile to later 74-89 Standard Wheels............74TXA - 79F Standard rims should match your rear wheel rim, (if it is an original rim), these are commonly called mud/rain catchers and have a W style rim.

Special spoke rims are different to the 74-79 Standard rims.

Calipers;.............Caliper on the 76C was shifted to the rear of the forks, 73 to 75 had the caliper mounted on the front............Due to the caliper mounting change any 73-75 caliper can be used....... but...........the top mounting bolts on the caliper have to be swapped over to match the change from front mounted forks to a rear mounted fork.

So any 73 - 76 caliper can be used with the changes added to the 73-75 caliper as noted above.

Rotors;............Any rotor from 73-76 can be used on your 76C 34mm front forks.............any rotor from 77 and later cannot be used with a 73-76 34mm fork. They have a different offset so cannot be used with the 34mm fork caliper. ............

Front forks;.............. changed to a 77-81 35mm, 36 spoke front fork set up.............. the 77-81 front Rotor will bolt onto any front 36 spoke hub, ..........from 73-81,............ if you change your front forks to a 77-81, 35mm setup.

73TX............................................74TXA.......................................75XSB
73TX.jpg74TXA.jpgXS Forks (2) copy.jpg

76C.............................................77D..........................................Special
P1090823 copy.jpg 77D.jpg79 S II.jpg

Attachments

• 76C.jpg
    76C.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hi cocinero and welcome,
The first year disk brake is an orphan, I think that '73/'74/'75 parts will work on your '76 but others may know better.
FWIW, ANY '73 or newer front wheel will fit although '77 & newer wheels will need the '76 or earlier two-piece brake disk
(it bolts right on) to work with the '76 & earlier caliper.
If you can source the parts locally I'd advise swapping the front fork for the '77 & newer 35mm forks, brakes and all because they don't flex as much as the earlier 34mm forks (and yes, they'll fit your '76 frame)

Fred is right, i will clarify some points and add some info.

I will address the 34mm fork and some differences.

Hubs;.....All front wheel hubs from 73-79 Standards,........... and Special spoke wheel models...........79 Special II, 80G Special II and 81H Special II, can be used on your 76C front forks

All these are 36 spoke hubs and can be used on your bike.

I have all of what you need. Feel free to PM me to discuss.

wow! thanks for all the replies, guys!
hmmm...right now, i have an all orig bike...the only thing missing or not original are the front rim & hub, side mirrors, brake master, caliper & rotor.
My stanchions are also pitted (still undecided if i'll convert to 77 forks, as advised by you guys, I want to keep the bike as orig as possible but if the '77 forks will make a huge diff, maybe i can consider)
Btw, if i change my forks from 34 to 35mm, do i need to change the triple tree & fork ears for headlight as well? what else needs to be changed?
What do you guys recommend I do?
TIA

Last edited:
wow! thanks for all the replies, guys!
hmmm...right now, i have an all orig bike...the only thing missing or not original are the front rim & hub, side mirrors, brake master, caliper & rotor.
My stanchions are also pitted (still undecided if i'll convert to 77 forks, as advised by you guys, I want to keep the bike as orig as possible but if the '77 forks will make a huge diff, maybe i can consider)
Btw, if i change my forks from 34 to 35mm, do i need to change the triple tree & fork ears for headlight as well? what else needs to be changed?
What do you guys recommend I do?
TIA
Hi cocinero,
as the bike is missing all those front end parts is it parked or is it limping about on non-stock hardware?
If you wish to keep the bike original you'll need to stay with the 34mm forks.
I wouldn't say the later 35mm forks make a huge difference.
Just that at 1mm fatter there has to be a bit less flex in extreme cornering.
And you have to swap the entire fork; trees, brakes, headlight ears and all.
OTOH, the headlight and the front wheel itself swap between the 34mm & 35mm forks just fine.
Whether you stay stock or swap to 35mm forks is entirely up to you. Me, I'd keep the bike as close to original as I could.
Some front end "upgrades" that don't notice too much, or not at all:-
Swap the stock crowded ball steering headraces for a tapered roller bearing kit.
And put a grease nipple in the steering head tube so you don't have to tear the forks down to re-grease the bearings.
Swap the fabric reinforced brake lines (if they are the originals they are long past their best before date anyway)
for stainless steel wire braid reinforced brake lines.
Install a TKAT style fork brace (OK, this one shows, but it works.)

Back