Mix match parts question

Captmandel

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone been a while since I posted. Thanks in advanced for your help.

I have a 72 xs2 with carbs from a 76. If I were to replace the carb holders would I get ones that match a 76, which I believe are angled, or carb holders that fit a 72, which I believe are straight? I believe the ones I’m currently using are angled but I’m thinking that’s possibly because I didn’t have the money to get new ones when I replaced the carbs. I also remember them being a pain to install.

Thanks for the info!

Josh.

You match the carb holders to the frame, not the carbs.
So, in your case, you need to keep your original straight 70-73 holders (the metal part), and you need to buy straight 70-73 boots (the rubber part). The straight 70-73 boots are hard to find new. I think there might be some expensive ones from Germany on eBay, and I am pretty sure that you can find them from Heiden Tuning, slightly less expensive.
Your 76 carbs will fit and work fine on your 72 as long as you use straight boots and holders. If you don't, you will have interference issues with your side covers.

Hello everyone been a while since I posted. Thanks in advanced for your help.

I have a 72 xs2 with carbs from a 76. If I were to replace the carb holders would I get ones that match a 76, which I believe are angled, or carb holders that fit a 72, which I believe are straight? I believe the ones I’m currently using are angled but I’m thinking that’s possibly because I didn’t have the money to get new ones when I replaced the carbs. I also remember them being a pain to install.

Thanks for the info!

Josh.orry if i put you wrong. I thought the ater 447 carbe were wider apart than the 356 carb. DB would know

Sorry if i put you wrong. I thought the later 447 carbs were wider apart than the 256 carbs. I'll take DB's word, he would know.

Edited previous post

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for the late response. I don’t have side covers and I’m using pods. I haven’t purchase the boots yet but I will take the advice here and get the straight ones. I want to say I’m using angled ones now but I don’t know they don’t look very angled. It’s been years since I put the new ( to me) carbs on. In any case I’ll buy the straight ones. I see them on jbm industries for what seems like a decent price. Thanks again!

Back