Vm float height sight gauge ??

Noidea

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello again everyone. Got some questions that i haven't been able to find my self to ask.
On vm carbs is the way of checking float height with a sight gauge just the same as bs carbs attaching a clear hose abd checking the level. I dont think there are zerk fitting as large as the opening for the vms. What have yall found usefull? Im checking cause I’m getting a popping from a certain carb and am trying to hunt it down. Thought it was an airleak initially but upon spraying break clean around them nothing happens.
I saw this thread recently https://www.xs650.com/threads/popping-noise-after-carb-rebuild-at-idle.62781/

I have similar popping noise from carbs. After resetting my height the left one stopped my right one still goes. When feeling my exhaust the right one also feels colder than the left but both plugs are firing which leads me to believe my float setting is awry. The needles themselves bounce back pretty good and came with the vms I bought new.

Get another bowl drain bung, drill and tap to take a hose tail the right size for fuel line. Swap the bung over to check the float height then replace it with the original when finished.
Part number (34mm carbs) VM30-VM34 Mikuni number VM34/42 Sudco number 002-131
36 mm Carbs VM30-VM36 Mikuni no VM28/253 sudco number 002-526

Back