Testing float height with carbs assembled?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Ive been run-in the bike now for approx 3 weeks and run-in great, just when u think u got
it all fixed something else acts up. Feels like im run-in out of fuel (tank full, carbs clean and set perfect)
Will start and idle but apply throttle and it pretty much dies. I have great spark on both sides.
Right side pipe runs cold, think im not getting fuel on right side.Petcock dispenses fuel ok.
Could it be the float possibly has a hole. I also checked diaphragm and it holds with finger over the
top hole in the carb mouth. Is there a way on a 77 carb to test what fuel height is without removing
carb. I have seen some posts on it but confused on how u do on this carb. I have a brass port under
carb which I assume u connect a clear fuel line to and run up side the carb. but how does the fuel get in there to see level. Thx
ps: I tried switching spark plug wires side to side as I thought it may be electric issue but no change,
left side still runs cold. If I run bike it will almost die while riding then suddenly go great then run shit again, no powers think its only run-in on the left cylinder on and off. I swapped the coil, pamco ignition and checked
timing all good also charging good so no issues there, did not expect any there as ive been thru all that recently.

Using a clear hose to check fuel level works well. Fuel flows out of the float bowl into the hose. It fills the hose to the same level as the fuel in the float bowl. You need the bike standing up straight for this. The center stand works for this. The fuel in the hose should come up to just below the gasket surface of the float bowl.
From how you describe the way your bike is running, I don't think it's float level. Sounds more like some crud plugged up your carbs. Time to pull them for a cleaning.
Leo

There is a brass port at the bottom of each carb (ON FLOAT BOWL) with no cap on it, not sure what that is for.
Do I connect to that or do I need to get a fitting to replace drain plug that adapts to a piece of clear hose?

You need a hose fitting for the drain bolt. There's an eBay seller that has this "special tool" all made up. I bought a couple and am very pleased with them. I've used them quite often .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Float...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

A little cheaper route is just to buy the barbed brass fitting and supply your own hose .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fitting-Me...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

This tool helped me diagnose a local guy's bike. It ran OK but was very difficult to start. This turned out to be the reason why .....

JFdrj8x.jpg

3azjIm6.jpg

Pulled carbs and cleaned main jet and pilot jets, dumped all fuel, checked float height and
reassembled and still no power, will start and idle ok but apply throttle and it breaks up and falls on its face.
If I take it for a ride it will run like its about to stall then all off a sudden it goes great.
I tried turning on choke and applying throttle at same time and it seems to respond well.
Im stumped. is it possible its could be electrical or will this definitely be fuel related.
I thought I had all the electrical figured out! Both plugs have spark. But it feels like the right side
muffler is not getting hot like the left. I never pulled the needle and seats just ran some new fuel thru the
carb out the bowl drain. Hopeing to flush anything foreign out.
Thx for any guidance

If turning on the choke makes it better, that seems to indicate a lean condition. Did you check for air leaks? Could be manifolds or shaft seals.

Found problem, clip came off the needle an needle lodge sideways under slide! Tat needle has been in there for 1000,a of miles, I think what happened was the hand made shim I made caught sideways when the slide lifted and popped it off, I reinstalled but doset seem to be runnin rite, maybe the needle got bent or scratched, it looked ok

Back