Monster Craftsman Brat Kit Install

quickj

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received my Monster Craftsman Brat kit in the mail Yesterday (a couple days ahead of when it was supposed to arrive), so I tore into it..

I am very pleased with the quality of this thing. The tig welds are beautiful. The bends are nice. The coping where it fits to the back bone is perfect. It is very straight and square. And it is sanded clean and deburred. A lot of hand work goes into each one of these. In addition, the hardware supplied for mounting the shocks is top notch, although I think the Nylock nuts are a little wimpy and I will probably change them for some nice chrome acorns.

I immediately grabbed my Sawzall, Angle grinder and Band file and went to work on the frame, cutting and grinding as shown on the installation video on You-Tube.

It Doesn't Fit..

As shown in the photos, when the back curved tubes are seated into the tubes they slide into, the top tubes are still sitting about an inch above the back bone. I can push the top down to try to get it to meet, but it still ends up about 1/4" up, plus it changes the angle of the seat pan so it no longer flows in a straight line down the back bone to where it curves down to the shock mounts as I think it should. I am going to have to cut the frame down about another 1/4" and cut the MC lower tubes up about 1/4" (without cutting the bungs) as shown in the picture with the red lines in order to get it to lay where I want it.

Not complaining. Still love this kit. Just more work fitting it then I was expecting.
There must be enough difference between the frames between Standard, Special, and/or Xs2 to make this not a universal fit to all three frames. I have a Special.

Jim in Minnesota

Attachments

• IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 765
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_cutlines.jpg
    IMG_cutlines.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 567
on your 5th pic, you could angle that area so the parts meets the back bone, and most of the slug would still bee there, but cant help with the seat situation.
Are you planning a springy seat? may want a solid mount seat since you still have the shock suspended rear. Then its up to you to make a seat pan that fits the way you want.
Every one says its a well made kit. I plan on using one on my next xs special, if the guy will sell it to me this spring.

Just curious to see how you are making out, quickj. I am leaning away from a hardtail and thinking the MC brat kit.

After watching their install video, I was surprised that there was no mention of doing any kind of measurements/levelling to make sure that everything is true and square. In theory, are the two lower cuts (where you are having to do your mods) automatically centred/level as long as everything is centred at the backbone? I was surprised to see how far your install was out, given how easy the video made it looked.

Would it be easier or help things to fit it with the rear tire on and the shocks attached to the swingarm and the brat kit?

Thx

We have actually seen some variation in these frames. We build the brat kits in a fixture and than test fit it on a frame. It should fit like "Butter". On the other hand we have noticed a few other frame that we have that are a little "Tweaked". The actual measurement from one side of the bike to the other is different. All in all these Brat kits should be fitting dam close and we are here to lend a helping hand if anyone runs into a problem. Take care and give us a ring if you have a specific questions about a brat install! Should have waited until January and I would have installed it for free :D

It's All Good.

I did a little additional fitting, and now it is looking good and fitting good. I really like the way this is going so far. I talked to my Neighbor a little earlier, and I am going to use his Tig this weekend. I will probably tack it with my Mig so I dont have to worry about the alignment as I carry it across the Yard.

I definately recommend the Monster Craftsman kit for those looking for something different.

What do you all think about running 19's front and back with this?

Jim in Minnesota

By the way Jon, And I know you have heard this before. Your brat kit is great. Awesome Welds. Thank you for putting this out for those that want something different.
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks man! I bought it from a fellow member joe-wiseguy. He sells them on ebay for 79.00
Here's a link to for the stock swingarm version on ebay link

$(KGrHqJHJFcE-lwk9D7HBPuvFkEF(!~~60_35.jpg

Mike,
That is totally F'n Awesome.

Question,
Why did you leave all of the extra unused brakets and crap on your frame?

Jim in Minnesota

The bike is not yet done...pics are "in progress" pics from my "build" thread.

Still need some cleaning up, lowering front forks, welding up this and that, etc.

I finished Fitting the Brat kit today, And welded her up. I think it turned out good.
Had to throw swingarm, forks and tires on there to get an idea of the stance.

Jim in Minnesota

Attachments

• IMG_0891_small.jpg
    IMG_0891_small.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 1,681
  • IMG_0888_small.jpg
    IMG_0888_small.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 543
I finished Fitting the Brat kit today, And welded her up. I think it turned out good.
Had to throw swingarm, forks and tires on there to get an idea of the stance.

Jim in Minnesota

That looks so sweet with that tank. Not like every other bike with a sporty or peanut tank like mine lol

Back