Most common 21" front on xs650.

ebb0tk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, im figuring out what 21" front (dirtbike?) wheel would be the 'easiest' to fit to an xs650? Im looking to have a front drum brake. Know it will need some fab.. But thats ok.

Just want some opinions what wheel to look for especially, with less fabrication then others..

:wtf:

While there lots of options out there, I'll give what I think is the easiest option.

XL250 forks are 35mm, so assuming you have a later model xs, those forks are a direct fit to the xs trees. I think xl forks sit 1" lower than stock xs forks. XL's also came with a 21" drum wheel. Both of these can found on eBay for a decent price. Fab free, bolt on.

Thanks alot!! Ill look into that, any specific year or do all forks fit? And about the wheel, all xl250 wheels with drum fit?

As far as I know all xl forks are 35mm, what year is your xs? As far as difference in wheels, I don't if there are or aren't any differences. If you're lucky you can find an eBay seller that has a wheel to match the forks. You may have to do a little research but if you can find the right combo it will be bolt on and go...

My xs is year 1981. This was an awesome tip. Thanks alot. You know if there are any other forks/wheels that bolt on with disc brake?

Yes, I have an 81 as well. I built a 21" rim for disk using a stock xs hub, a 21" 36 hole aluminum rim and stainless spokes from Mikesxs. If you go this route, lace it yourself and save some $. I was intimidated to do it at first, but I got it done. I'll post some links to help you get started if you want.

Here's mine the day I finished it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457630402.578021.jpg
And mounted...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457630423.795353.jpg

Yeah i laced the wheels on my sr 500 myself so no biggie there :) ill be looking for those xl250 forks and wheels.

Cool, I'm curious about fork and wheel fitment over different years on those xl's so let me know what you find out.

Yeah, im Guessing the forks are different between the xl250 and the xl250s.. Any thoughts there?

Do you think this 18" rim will lace up to an original xs650 rearhub? Found it in my closet, forgot i bought it some time ago.. Hehe

Attachments

• DSC_0558.jpg
    DSC_0558.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0557.jpg
    DSC_0557.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 91
Well thats the thing, dont know if its the right pattern but it is a 36 hole.. By the looks of it it seems to be to an bigger hub like the xs rear maybe should try lace it up with some old longer spokes i got laying around..

Back