MOTO GP 2014

Jeeter

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Qatar starts in like 15 minutes. Marquez in the #1 slot. Everyone is hungry, let's see how it goes! I love night racing.

I actually like the MOTO 2 and MOTO 3 classes better. MOTO 2 is just basically "MX at 150mph" .. those guys are SO aggressive and ride the cheese out of those 600s. And MOTO 3 is more of a chess game since the little 250s are so equally matched. Name of that game is corner speed.

Ok, it's about to start. :bike:

Well that didn't take long. Lorenzo took the lead by the 2nd turn, then ended up on his face before completing the first lap. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Back to the race ...

Marquez, Rossi, Pedrosa. What a race! Rossi proved he's still alive and kicking. Gotta love Qatar, 215 mph+ on a track plagued with sand.

Next up is Texas (April 13th) at the Circuit Of The Americas. Last year Marquez had his Repsol Honda laid over so far, it was pretty unbelievable. Great circuit, great racing.

That was a barn burner of a season opener. Really enjoyed watching it. Rossi tried to play some of the old mind games he played on Gibernau and Biaggi, but apparently Marquez did not know he was supposed to be intimidated. I think a lot of that comes from the Moto2 experience, where it was all jab and jab back. Nobody just splits off and leads flag to flag. They are accustomed to dicing it out. I believe this is also why Lorenzo and Pedrosa spent a lot of time last year talking about how Marquez is "dangerous" and "past the limit" when he rides. The kid is a demon on the brakes, fearless diving into a corner underneath, and completely unshaken by a dive pass, he just returns the favor. Enjoyed watching he and Rossi dice, but it seems he always felt he had it in hand.
It's gonna be a great year for GP IMO.

That was a barn burner of a season opener. Really enjoyed watching it. Rossi tried to play some of the old mind games he played on Gibernau and Biaggi, but apparently Marquez did not know he was supposed to be intimidated. I think a lot of that comes from the Moto2 experience, where it was all jab and jab back. Nobody just splits off and leads flag to flag. They are accustomed to dicing it out. I believe this is also why Lorenzo and Pedrosa spent a lot of time last year talking about how Marquez is "dangerous" and "past the limit" when he rides. The kid is a demon on the brakes, fearless diving into a corner underneath, and completely unshaken by a dive pass, he just returns the favor. Enjoyed watching he and Rossi dice, but it seems he always felt he had it in hand.
It's gonna be a great year for GP IMO.
As long as Marquez doesn't get really hurt he'll be someone that will be in the record books for years to come, in many categories. His outsmarting of the traction control system (his extreme body-counterlean making the bike stand up a bit earlier) has everyone rethinking their style. Reminds me of Rossi with the leg hanging out in the airstream, and of course Roberts when he essentially revolutionized asphault riding with his interpretation of the body counterlean (aka "knee dragging").

Actually, Marquez kinda reminds me of the way Wes Cooley took over Superbike racing in the late 70s. The European riders were used to riding in this sortof graceful manner. Cooley would come into the pits with the rear tire smoking and the front brakes would lock up within a few minutes due to the brake fluid overheating in the no longer speeding bike and the expanding fluid would lock the front brake within a minute or less. This seemed utterly barbaric to many certain purists of the sport of production road racing. Who rides their bike so hard in each race that he comes in aftrerwards with a smoking rear tire and overcooked front brakes? Wes Cooley, that's who!

Marquez has that same "ride it like a dirt bike" attitude and style. Yup, gotta agree 100% about how he's brought MOTO2 "style" to MOTOGP. Which is essentially "supercross at 200+mph". I say that because the MOTO2 guys are friggin bar banging animals. It's probably my favorite GP class, I know for sure it's my favorite AMA Pro class (the 600cc Daytona Sportbike class I mean). There's usually so many entrants in MOTO2 as well. Big starting fields, aggressive racing, what's not to like from a spectator's point of view?

Texas is next. I hope that they set up a camera in the same location outside of that one superfast right hander. Marquez was awe inspiring as he wrestled with Pedrosa in that particular corner.

Rossi? Yup, he's got something to prove to not only Yamaha this year, but also to himself. He's got to prove that he's still relevant. His riding at Qatar was incredible, especially since the YZR1 literally hates that track (ask ~Lorentho~ ... woops, too much front brake and FACEPLANT before one lap is ticked off, and on live global feed no less!) Rossi was on fire tonight. His stamina is what will be tested this year. His age shouldn't be too much of a hurdle (see Josh Hayes) but his overall physical condition WILL come into play. I wonder if he's going for wins this year or is he playing the points/championship game?

I'm watching Bradl this year. Time will tell. ;)

I plan on keeping this thread active all 2014 season, adding to it with each event. I also plan on starting an AMA Pro road racing thread, and perhaps a Flattrack thread (all for the 2014 season). All of these forms are highly relevant to building the XS650.

:bike:

Well, I got to see the MOTO2 and MOTO3 races at Qatar. Wow, Marc Maquez' little brother Alex Marquez had the MOTO3 race nailed at the last couple of laps. looked like it was all his on the white flag. Then he just handed the lead over, in fact he went wide about halfway through the last lap and allowed three bikes to get by him. I think he barely managed a podium.

MOTO2 had 33? entrants, and per usual it was "motocross at 150mph". Those 600cc riders are really a treat to watch, so aggressive, and they ride the living hell out of those 600s. If I were in a position to be in one of the premier classes, I'd probably aim for MOTO2. MOTOGP is too .. I dunno .. there seems to be too much politics involved in nearly every aspect of the GP class. Understandibly so, I mean when leasing a transmission from Repsol Honda can cost over ONE MILLION US DOLLARBUX for one season. For a friggin transmission! That said I can fully understand why there is so much blablabla in the GP class. There's a LOT of moola at stake in that game. Rossi is actually in the top ten of highest paid motor racers on the planet (that puts him among F1 drivers and even amongst NASCAR's highest paid "salesmen in spec-racecars" ... lord I dislike NASCAR .. anyhow).

200+ horses. 217mph. 64+ degree lean angles. And big huge Rhino nuts!

Those are the basic elements of MOTOGP.

Austin Texas starts any minute now on FS1. They're showing MOTO3, then MOTO2, then MOTOGP. I know where I'll be for the next three hours.

:)
ZZZzzzzzz ... Texas was a snore. Marquez walked away with it. Lorentho blew the start, had to do a ride-through the pits and ended up tenth (one hell of a job by him btw, to go from the back to tenth). To me it looked like a clear case of an over-adjusted clutch to give him as much clutch at the start as possible. During the peak-rev period of the starting sequence that clutch just heated up and made the bike creep forward. At that point it looked like he just said "screw it" and launched ahead of everyone knowing full-well he'd have to do a ride-through anyhow. He's had a pretty crappy start to the 2014 season so far. He crashed on the first lap of the first race of the season, then he goofs the start of the second race and ends up tenth. Meanwhile Marquez has won both races of the 2014 season so far. C'mon Lorentho, that's no way to win back a championship!

Still keeping my eyes on Bradl though.

I DVR'd MOTO3 and MOTO2, so I've yet to see them. I saw some of the MOTO3 race, looked like Marquez' little brother "Alex" was doing ok when I last saw it. I understand the 600s (MOTO2) were rain delayed or something. I'll find out when I watch them in a day or so.

:)

Dude watch the moto2 race. BEST race of the season so far. (lol of the season=2 races) but I disagree. I think Lorenzo jumped it. If you watch the slomo clip it looks like he anticipated a quick drop on the lights, then once he moved realized...oops and said screw it. Eitherway to get back up to 10th was crazy. Rossi definitely had a front end issue going on! If I spoil it, Marquez brother crashes out of the moto3 race, which is just meh until the last lap. Moto2 was a GREAT race though! Lots and lots of action!

Dude watch the moto2 race. BEST race of the season so far. (lol of the season=2 races) but I disagree. I think Lorenzo jumped it. If you watch the slomo clip it looks like he anticipated a quick drop on the lights, then once he moved realized...oops and said screw it. Eitherway to get back up to 10th was crazy. Rossi definitely had a front end issue going on! If I spoil it, Marquez brother crashes out of the moto3 race, which is just meh until the last lap. Moto2 was a GREAT race though! Lots and lots of action!
I haven't seen the sooper-slo-mos of Lorentho's blow-it, so you are probably correct. If so, what a rookie mistake for a world champion to do, y'know?

The 600s are my favorite class. Usually at least 35 or so entries, and each one of them is an insane MX racer on a 600cc prototype missile. The bulk of those guys are just old enough to know how to go really fast, and just young enough to not have any "fear". Yea buddy, fun stuff in the (almost) Summertime! (It was 108f here on Friday!)

Nobody called the races "snoozers" when Rossi or Stoner were running off and leaving everyone. It's an amazing thing to watch that kid ride and everyone else shake thier heads. He's the first great product of Moto2, which I think will bring the better racers in the years to come, because parity in the machines does 2 things. It makes the rider have to ride around any shortcomings in the machine or setup, and the close competition develops racecraft and an instict to seek out alternative lines around the track. When someone earns a win against the kid head to head, they will have worked thier ass off.

Nobody called the races "snoozers" when Rossi or Stoner were running off and leaving everyone.
Well you may try speaking for yourself on that one instead of everybody (et ~nobody~) else. I've called a TON of races snoozers when the expected winner, well, runs off and wins it. Even the racers know that runaway races aren't as exciting for the spectators, they even apologize for it at times (even Marquez apologized for the boring win when he commented on the near eat-it he had on the last lap, he said something to the degree of "that was for the fans to make it better for the less exciting race" (or something along those lines, his meaning was very clear though).

Hell when Mladin was winning everything for what seemed like 20 years I got bored stiff watching road racing.

So you'll have to just agree to disagree I suppose. I would have much preferred to see something like what was done last year with Marquez and Pedrosa axle-to-crankshaft nearly all the way around.

Boring recollection warning!

Perhaps I'm too jaded. After having spent as much time at Ascot as I did it takes a lot to really get my attention, I prefer good racing without an expected runaway winner, or AT LEAST a good race SOMEWHERE within the field, y'know?. Geez, sometimes watching a main event there was as exciting as actually being IN a main event there. There was some insanely serious racing going on there Friday night after Friday night. No "follow the leader" racing going on. While watching from the pits/infield, I saw Ivan Shigemasa (aka "The Kamikazi") die in May of 1973 in turn 3 there (my god, what a horrible memory. He went straight into the north turn wall wide open, I clearly remember seeing both of his wrists completely double backwards with his hands against the tops of his forearms when he impacted the wall, his hands still on the bars as his wrists simply snapped and he went headlong into that wall at 90mph+. The ride home was very silent that night. While spectating and seated in the grandstands I also saw Elbert Turner die there on my birthday in 1974. He was in this amazingly fierce battle when going into the north turn when things went to shit. He ended up coming of his bike and slamming into the crash wall back-first, his bike slamming into his chest a millisecond later. His body hit the wall, then his bike hit him slamming him against the wall again between bike and wall. The ambulance left very slowly, everyone that regulared at Ascot knew what that usually meant. I'm just glad my mom wasn't present to see either one of those horrid wrecks or I would have never raced again.

So perhaps I just expect too much. Don't get me wrong, please. I don't expect to see death and destruction (I saw Super Sic's death in realtime on a live feed at 3am around here, holy crap that was awful ... I stood there with my mouth hanging open not wanting to believe what my eyes were telling me). I suppose I just prefer tight racing.

I mean if I wanted to see the field spread out all over the track I'd watch reruns of the TT (Isle of Man). To me, all that really made the GP race at Texas exciting (other than Lorentho's woopsie daisy) was Jonathan Green's usual over-hyped and ultra entertaining race calling. I used to love it when Brock Parks would get a break out moment, Green would yell out at the top of his lungs "GO ON BROCK PARKS!" He's like the UK version of Larry "Motormouth" Huffman (that guy that used to call the supercross races in the 1980s).

I know this has NOTHING to do with motorcycle racing, but one thing that keeps getting to me is this infiltration of NASCAR "faces" sneaking in to moto racing of several types. They're always showing some stupid tweet from some NASCAR person on the SX races (as if I care if Ricky Friggin Bobby likes supercross?), or having some NASCAR racer doing a show-up on camera at one of the races with something to say about how Supercross is so much like NASCAR (hint hint new viewers, listen up please! We want your viewership! Uh, cuz we needs to sells us some advertising time ok?). Danielle Trotta, a well known NASCAR personality, has been seen hosting both Supercross and MOTOGP races (when they are stateside). I mean, where the hell is Bob Varsha? Yea yea, I know ... he went to CBS (I think, maybe it's NBC) so he only covers races that they air. I miss Dispain as well. But NASCAR faces keep on creeping in to motorcycle racing, especially any of it that makes money and is easy to do TV with. Supercross is a natural for the owners of the NASCAR productions to want to glom on to. What with data farming at such it's so easy for network owners to know who is watching what, and when. It won't be long before they realize that SX, MX, and MGP races create a lot of revenue, and then it's all doomed. Anything that is absorbed by the mainstream is simply turned into pure homogenized poo.

Earth to Jeeter .... This is the Planet Earth calling Jeeter, come in please...

Ahem ...... uh, wow. I guess I had a plugged drain, er brain, er something. Far too much to say about far too little! :) I guess I'm saddle-goofy, I just drove six hundred miles between 5am and Noon, with a short visit in the middle of all that to the VA hospital for a CAT scan. So I suppose I'm a little more stupid than usual. :) Haahaa! :)

Anyhow, yea. MOTOGP, Texas .... could've been more fun to watch, let's just put it that way. :)

haha "boring recollection warning"

I'll tell ya what...mark marquez is looking incredible this year, and you're right the moto2 guys are at the perfect skill/age intersection. I had to rewind like 5 times to watch a 2 second clip from the Qatar race with two of them pulling a wheelie through the apex of a corner, adjusting in mid air, coming down off camber and then blasting off into space....the stuff they do out there is unreal. If you can find em, look up the slomo clips of marquez in this race braking into the hairpins. Rear tire is a good 3-5 inches off the ground sometimes!

I'm kinda behind on this series. I have everything I've missed on DVR, but I've yet to see it. I've not really felt up to it lately.

I did see the GP race in Spain though. Friggin Rossi! Go dude go! My wife and I endearingly call him "monkeyboy" due to the way he looks like .. well .. a monkey! Some of his less than good mug-shot photos he really has a monkey-like look about him (sorry Doc ... it is what is it mang!) He can really take on that Curious George look, hell sometimes he downright owns it! Haahaa! It's funny and endearing in our family circle. It comes from the same place that my nickname "Jeeter" does, a good place in the heart.

Anyhow Doc Rossi put on one hell of a ride, held off Pedrosa and that mighty Honda (man oh man them Repsols are really something, especially their straightaway speed. They can be scary-squirrelly though in the corners!). This may not be Lorentho's year, at least it's not looking that way so far. And well, Marquez = 4:4 .... wow. Looks like another bright star in the GP sky! :)

I still need to see those M2 and M3 races from Texas yet! Geez ....

Back