Motor seized randomly.....no really it did.

manesfesto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I had a thread going in here: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32174&page=2

Rundown of the issue:

I ran out of gas and went to kick my bike over at the station and my kicker seized mid kick. Pushed it home and put it in 3rd and pushed it down the driveway and it popped loose. Thought maybe since it died and it was really cold it seized or something.

next day, go to kick it over and nothing. just kicking and kicking.I proceed to:

-rebuilt carbs- cleaning every last tiny jet and pilot and the choke circuit in the bowls
- re soldered all electrical and made sure grounds were good
- tightned camchain to spec
- did all inlet and exhaust valves to spec
- reset all the advance pamco timing which upon finishing was identical to what hugh's writeup stated was correct.
- new plugs gapped to spec
- charged battery overnight

go to kick it over the next morning.....kicker seizes up top of the stroke and the moter wont turn over via the 17mm nut. It will go counter clockwise but only to a point, then it stops and hits something internal.

so here we are: My roomate who has had multiple XS seems to think I had a bad rocker arm when I bought it (8mo) ago. I did have a noisy motor but nothing scary.
He thinks possibly one let go and it ended up frying a valve or multiple.

Im at a total loss as to what to do. The bike was running the best it ever had the day this happened. Any help would be appreciated. Im prob looking at snagging a new motor and just swapping them. It would prob be cheaper than rebuilding this.

thanks guys

Is it possible that your camchain skipped a tooth or two?I If it was loose and then you say you adjusted it after problem started.

your engine isn't seized or it wouldn't turn at all.
Sounds like something is jamming somewhere.

If you have managed to set the camchain tension and the valves its unlikely to be a brokenvalve I shouldn't have thought but you can check that by removing the spark plugs and looking in the cylinders with a decent light.

I would drop the sump and check the oil and sump magnet for bits of metal that might give you a clue.

it def feels like something is jamming. it will notch down when i slowly push the kicker down then lock up higher and higher on the rotation. then if I kick it back over CCW on the stator I can repeat the process.

here is the insane amount of metal I found in my filter........ oh boy

7dwb.jpg

gld8.jpg

Last edited:
Like Peanut said, I'd be looking down the plug holes for something obvious and then looking behind the valve covers........doesn't cost anything to check, and then go from there.

I'm guessing your rubber insert dropped out of the front cam guide and you have been sawing through the front guide with the cam chain.
Drop the sump filter see what you see. But it's game over for that engine till it gets a full overhaul. Straight pipes?

Yeah look in the plug holes and pull the valve covers I think you finally dropped a valve too. That paste will be everywhere in that poor ole engine doing dastardly things.

I'm guessing your rubber insert dropped out of the front cam guide and you have been sawing through the front guide with the cam chain.
Drop the sump filter see what you see. But it's game over for that engine till it gets a full overhaul. Straight pipes?

Yeah look in the plug holes and pull the valve covers I think you finally dropped a valve too. That paste will be everywhere in that poor ole engine doing dastardly things.

yeah straight pipes. Its real cold so Ill pull the cover tomorrow and let ya know what I find. they always run the best right before they die right? shit happens.

Old race lore says "If it's running better than it "ever" has...the motor's about to go" been the case for just about every one I know that's had a motor fry on them

What year is the motor? I have a 72 and they put slugs in the crank flywheel that in my case eventually let go.

My motor would turn to a point, then it would hit something that would stop it at the same point in the rotation every time. When I opened up the sump and looked up into the motor I could see it hitting the connecting rod. Replaced the crank.

Good luck. I think that the plugs only exist in 72 cranks.

Also, totally agree with JP. Mine was running totally great before it took a shit.

Took it out for a ride and suddenly sounded noisy - next day it was totally stuck when I went to kick it over.

Back