motor swap/ parts interchangability

More likely I'm missing something - like a clear explanation.

The ebay seller that sold me the busted case has another case for a 79 XS650 that he describes as a ym17. I don't know what that description means or if it means anything. I had a good runner with a cracked case. After the rest of the restore work I don't have the funds to replace the whole motor with a runner/non-leaker and my wife is about ready to kick me out. The gas saving strategy only works for so long.

At this point, the only good way to fix is replace the case or get the old one welded up. I'm looking at a tear down either way. I'm trying the father/son project approach now. My numbers already don't match, so I was opting for a case swap.

If the mounts are different between a '72 and a '79 XS, I'll have to shoot for the refund less shipping and look for another XS2 case. My plan was supposed to be the economical path to repair - so much for my plan.

I appreciate all the knowledge and advise you all share on this forum. It seems my luck was better when I was younger. :shrug:

Get the engine number (scroll down) off him and confirm it for yourself.

Why a refund without shipping. If he sold the cases as good for a runner i would be hitting him up for the lot and if he didn't come across i would would be threatening to report him, at least he could come up with postage one way. He has already sold you one bad case, don't think i could trust him on another one

Seller provided full refund, including shipping. There are still good people on ebay. Now I just need to find an XS2 case. Anybody got a spare they can part with?

Back