Motorcycle Theft Prevention 101

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
After you report your stolen motorcycle to the police we encourage you to also report your stolen motorcycle to StolenMotorcycle.net where it will never be removed from the database until it is recovered.

But how do you prevent motorcycle theft?

Wooley, my riding partner and co-founder of StolenMotorcycle.net dug a hole in the floor of his shop and buried a big steel hoop set in concrete to which he hooks a huge chain and giant padlock. Then he parks his truck so that it blocks his bike inside. It's not perfect but it's on par with my attack rooster. No, my rooster could care less about my motorcycles but he'll have no part of anyone getting too close to his hens who like to congregate under my motorcycles whenever a stranger comes around.

Be careful who your friends are.

Here in North Carolina, if you loan a vehicle to someone and that person never returns your vehicle, he or she cannot be charged with theft. I'm sure we're not the only state where motorcycles can be stolen by borrowing.

Security cameras might help.

Don't forget to keep your key in your pocket.

Never travel with your title.

When traveling with others you can padlock your bikes together.

Buy BFLs and heavy duty chains or stainless steel cables to secure your bike. What's a BFL? Big eFfing Lock.

Make sure that no part of your lock and chain is laying on the ground while locked to your bike. A lock on the ground is far easier to break with a BFH. You know, Big eFfing Hammer.

Here's something you might not think of. Make sure your lock and chain are locked up when not locked to your bike as a thief will sometimes steal your lock so that he can catch you at a bad time and steal your bike before you can get a new lock.

Is your automatic garage door opener still set to factory defaults? Change your codes ASAP.

Don't leave tools near your bike that could be used to steal it.

File the key codes off your locks.

Demand first floor motel rooms.

Watch for people following you.

A friend of mine used to hang all sorts of metal things, soup cans, broken tools, cow bells-- anything metal-- from the ceiling of his unlighted garage where it would all start clanging together whenever anyone went inside. At night, even he couldn't get in and out without waking up half the neighborhood. Then he added bear traps.

Back in my early days we used to make the prospects watch our bikes, dogs and wives. If anything happened to the bike or dog the prospect would be shot, hung, beaten and forced to remain a prospect for a few more miserable years.

Be very careful about who gets the papers. I once saw a woman legally steal a Delorean Sports Car. I'm not sure how she did it but I'm sure she could steal a bike the same way.

Rent a secure place to store your pride and joy. Over the years I have known countless people whose bikes were stolen from in front of apartments and townhouses. Or from off of front porches.

Keep your bike hidden from view. And if people start coming around out of the blue and asking if you want to sell it then be very wary.

Teach your wife or girlfriend that she'll have to share the house or apartment with your motorcycle. This worked really well for me until I came home one night and discovered that my dinner was being served out of my brand new, chrome plated primary cover. Hell, I thought she didn't even know what an Allen wrench was...

Lock your forks.

Lock your wheels.

Lock your frame to something really big like a California Redwood or a telephone pole.

Buy a Lojack tracking device.

Dogs can help-- especially if they're loud. Feed them in the mornings so they'll be awake at night. Peacocks and guinea fowl are louder and more alert than dogs. Emus and Llamas are meaner.

One year many years ago, while at Mardi Gras, I slept with my helmet on and my motorcycle chained to my body. No, it wasn't comfortable but I rode my bike home while others rode Greyhound. Yes, the thieves could have killed me and taken my bike but with so many easier targets, why would they bother?

Motorcycle alarms are available-- some better than others.

If you're selling a bike make sure that anyone who test rides your bike can provide you with a drivers license before you hand them the key. Take a photo of the buyer and their license or write their info down. If the buyer appears to be on foot then tell them to come back with some wheels of their own to leave with you while test riding your bike.

Years ago, after misplacing his key, a friend of mine wired his Triumph with 6 toggle switches in series. All of them had to be in the "on" position before the bike would start but for some, "on" was up and others down. And about once a month he changed his "combination."

Have your VIN number engraved in several hidden locations. If word gets out most thieves will look for less tempting targets.

Buy an electric fence charger and hook it to your bike making sure it has a battery back-up so thieves can't shut it off by tripping your breakers. Just don't forget to turn it off before you go for a ride.

Block or remove your license plate when photographing your bike as thieves sometimes gain access to DMV records and can find out where you live.

Place a StolenMotorcycle.net sticker somewhere on your bike where thieves will be sure to see it.

My apologies for the shameless self promotion. If you have more ways to keep thieves away from motorcycles we'd love to know what they are.

Thanks Bill, all sound advice. I have never had a bike stolen, but I will never forget the feeling when I opened the garage door and My 68 Mustang GT Fastback was gone. I got it back eventually, because the idiot that stole it totaled it......

i live in a terrible neighborhood and leave my doors unlocked. i'm fairly certain at this point in my life that everyone knows that if you take my shit i know enough people to find you. but this is some sound advice. another easy theft deterrent, take your plug wires with you every time you leave the bike. or shit, if you're REALLY protective, take a coil or something haha

"File the key codes off your locks"

Do not forget this.

A friend of mine did maintenance for the county and he had a set of key rings with every masterlock key available. This key ring looked like it would give you a permanent limp. He is no thief, but thieves are wiley and this one is too easy. At least if they have keys, you might catch them before they find the right one.

A lifesize cardboard cutout of Chuck Norris standing by your bike might help too. From a distance.

Good stuff to know anyhow. a lot of us put a bunch $$$ and time and self into our rides. I want to recoup some of my investemnt by rideing my SG. I do use some locks to make sure it stays home or where ever its parked.

i live in a terrible neighborhood and leave my doors unlocked. i'm fairly certain at this point in my life that everyone knows that if you take my shit i know enough people to find you. but this is some sound advice. another easy theft deterrent, take your plug wires with you every time you leave the bike. or shit, if you're REALLY protective, take a coil or something haha

Maxwell,
I don't leave my doors unlocked as my elderly mother lives with me and old women become easy targets. That said, I do keep the local gang bangers freaked out by going out at night, digging holes 3' wide and 6' long in my yard then refilling them before daylight.

You can imagine the rumors circulated about me-- especially when local gang bangers disappear.

Ya'll keep those ideas coming!

Posted via Mobile

"File the key codes off your locks"

Do not forget this.

A friend of mine did maintenance for the county and he had a set of key rings with every masterlock key available. This key ring looked like it would give you a permanent limp. He is no thief, but thieves are wiley and this one is too easy. At least if they have keys, you might catch them before they find the right one.

A lifesize cardboard cutout of Chuck Norris standing by your bike might help too. From a distance.

I have hundreds of Master Lock keys-- some go back to locks I lost long ago, others were for businesses where new locks had to be bought every time a driver quit or got fired. I keep them all just in case I might need one someday. One time I bought a parts bike the PO had locked and lost the key for. I took it home lock and all figuring I'd torch the lock. After about 100 or so tries I found a key that fit and got a damned good lock to go with the bike I'd just bought.

Never toss out a Master Lock key.

Posted via Mobile

Maxwell,
I don't leave my doors unlocked as my elderly mother lives with me and old women become easy targets. That said, I do keep the local gang bangers freaked out by going out at night, digging holes 3' wide and 6' long in my yard then refilling them before daylight.

You can imagine the rumors circulated about me-- especially when local gang bangers disappear.

Ya'll keep those ideas coming!

Posted via Mobile

bahahaha! i absolutely love it!

but nah, my story's different. i'm 21 years old and i've been in this same neighborhood my whole life.

Despite having a black president, racial conflict is still alive and well here in New Jersey. While I, myself, am not racist, you can only imagine what I've grown up with growing up as a white kid in a demographically hispanic/black neighborhood. You learn how to put your hands up real quick, if you know what I mean.

And after years of living here, you eventually build a reputation after a couple quick K.O.'s if you can handle your business like a man.

But for all you geezers who think that today's kids are nothing but pussies, I am old enough to understand and agree with that sentiment - when I was a kid, if you had a problem with someone in the neighborhood, you met up and settled it (sometimes with fists, sometimes with other stupid shit). NOW, however, kids do nothing but talk shit on Facebook or bring guns to parties... For guys like me who are quick on the draw and who know how to keep their chins tucked away, it's been real easy to keep a clear reputation up here.

Anyone who comes into this neighborhood looking for me knows where to find me, and in my 21 years I haven't run anywhere else yet. Part of being a man is knowing how to handle your responsibilities, plain and simple. Another part of being a man is not doing anyone wrong in the first place. If you fuck up, own it; treat others the way you want to be treated. Those two principles have gotten me pretty far in this world.

What I'm trying to say is, people know enough not to take my shit because people have learned to respect me. And if someone's dumb enough to make that mistake, they won't really have anywhere to hide, and they won't have to worry about anyone else coming for them except me - but they already know that I'm enough :thumbsup:

And like Jim said, I know (and have seen) guys who are good enough with a wrench to jack a car up and have the motor and transmission out in 20 minutes. If a thief wants your shit bad enough, they're going to take it from you. How you get it back is what determines whether or not some other idiot will try it again :wink2:

hi guys ,,,an american company makes a brillant security padlock ,,,which apparently is unpickable ,,,they are reasonably expensive ..i think in the region of $50 or so ,,,,, a world plotting/securiy alarm for a bike is great ,,,i,ve seen a few of these ,,you can set them for tilt and touching,,, regards oldbiker

Any Bad Guys wanting to steal My shit now.......not a healthy idea. After losing the Mustang, i became not nearly as nice as I used to be. Do You feel lucky,Punk? Texas now has the Castle Doctrine. It applies to My shop, as well......

American Locks are what everyone who used to be messengers used on their bicycles. Still use them to this day. If you ever roll down a busy street in NYC after hours, you can see that the businesses lock up with American Pad Locks too.

I use this right here; it's the beastliest lock for less than $40! Plus, you can ask the guy to cut specific lengths if you call in....

http://www.bikeregistry.com/estore/...id=54&osCsid=d78d7b41cd2448cb64cd5e8447f04317

To deter them, make them have to take a long time to do it, in a place they're going to be seen or heard. That's all the best locks can do. The lojack idea is good, if it's practical. Lojack sticker might be more useful :)

bahahaha! i absolutely love it!

but nah, my story's different. i'm 21 years old and i've been in this same neighborhood my whole life.

Despite having a black president, racial conflict is still alive and well here in New Jersey. While I, myself, am not racist, you can only imagine what I've grown up with growing up as a white kid in a demographically hispanic/black neighborhood. You learn how to put your hands up real quick, if you know what I mean.

And after years of living here, you eventually build a reputation after a couple quick K.O.'s if you can handle your business like a man.

But for all you geezers who think that today's kids are nothing but pussies, I am old enough to understand and agree with that sentiment - when I was a kid, if you had a problem with someone in the neighborhood, you met up and settled it (sometimes with fists, sometimes with other stupid shit). NOW, however, kids do nothing but talk shit on Facebook or bring guns to parties... For guys like me who are quick on the draw and who know how to keep their chins tucked away, it's been real easy to keep a clear reputation up here.

Anyone who comes into this neighborhood looking for me knows where to find me, and in my 21 years I haven't run anywhere else yet. Part of being a man is knowing how to handle your responsibilities, plain and simple. Another part of being a man is not doing anyone wrong in the first place. If you fuck up, own it; treat others the way you want to be treated. Those two principles have gotten me pretty far in this world.

What I'm trying to say is, people know enough not to take my shit because people have learned to respect me. And if someone's dumb enough to make that mistake, they won't really have anywhere to hide, and they won't have to worry about anyone else coming for them except me - but they already know that I'm enough :thumbsup:

And like Jim said, I know (and have seen) guys who are good enough with a wrench to jack a car up and have the motor and transmission out in 20 minutes. If a thief wants your shit bad enough, they're going to take it from you. How you get it back is what determines whether or not some other idiot will try it again :wink2:

I live in a neighborhood much like your's. We'd get the Hell out but I'm too old to go in debt for a house and in this neighborhood my house won't fetch enough to buy another. I've actually been told by the local gangstas' that white people don't have no business in their neighborhood but we've been here since 1958, long before they came here and I make sure they know I won't be an easy target.

Then they go look for easier targets proving what they're really made of.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm no bad ass but I will not be run out of my own home. In the past I've taken on both the local Bloods and Crypts-- they're gone and I'm here. It's not about being tougher, it's about being smarter. Ad when you're vastly out numbered there is no shame in attacking from behind.

Posted via Mobile

Our local cops don't tolerate that kind of thing for an instant, and our county prosecutor has a "go ahead and shoot the bad guys" kind of mentality on behalf of the citizens. Problem solved. No problem.

I saw this TV show from somewhere where the was a gang problem and they were interviewing detectives in charge of it and they sounded intrigued by it, like it was sexy, rather than disgusted by it. No wonder they have the problem there.

Last edited:
I live in a neighborhood much like your's. We'd get the Hell out but I'm too old to go in debt for a house and in this neighborhood my house won't fetch enough to buy another. I've actually been told by the local gangstas' that white people don't have no business in their neighborhood but we've been here since 1958, long before they came here and I make sure they know I won't be an easy target.

Then they go look for easier targets proving what they're really made of.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm no bad ass but I will not be run out of my own home. In the past I've taken on both the local Bloods and Crypts-- they're gone and I'm here. It's not about being tougher, it's about being smarter. Ad when you're vastly out numbered there is no shame in attacking from behind.

Posted via Mobile

i definitely hear that.

my parents feel the same.

but i "get along" with everyone here so long as no one's giving me gruff, you know? It is it what is, i guess - if shit gets hairy, chances are i'll be the first guy to shave it, and i think everyone around here knows it lol :laugh:

A mate of mine parked his bike (a spoked wheel GSX 1100 Katana) daily in front of a multi story office block with the steering lock on and a padlock through the front disc, under an overpass with about 10 to 20 other bikes, depending on the weather. Only one of these bikes was chained to a light post. When he arrived at knock off time there was only one bike there, yep the one chained to the post and a few hapless bike riders with no bikes. The cops were called, they used their combined initiative and made some enquiries with the people in the office block, yes they saw a truck with a lifter come along and take the bikes, one by one lifting them into the back of the truck, took about 45minutes they reckon.......no one thought it was unusual...........dongbeaters we call them over here.
Anyway to add insult to injury when my mate tried to claim on his bike insurance they checked his driving/riding record, they found he had not declared one speeding infringement on the proposal...... no insurance payout after paying them over $500 per year for a couple of years and no bike. He went and bought a Ducati after the financial recovery................

I answered an ad to buy some firewood last summer, near Lake Texoma. I went to this Ols Guys house. Looked like a redneck out of a movie. He took Me into the backyard where the firewood was stored. The yard was al grown up, and not a real good neighborhood. He said a lot of Tweekers around there. He said Watch yer head! There was a Trot-line strung across the yard, HEAD HIGH!! With BIG hooks on it. Like 2-3 inches long! He said He has caught 3 Bad Guys with it. Said one Guy was gone when He came out of the house, but a chunk of his face was still there......:(

Back