Mounting a bates style 5 3/4" headlight?

luketrash

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas to mount one of these generic Bates style headlights to my bike.

batesheadlight.JPG

It's just got that one mounting block. My XS650 has two threaded receivers in the triple tree that used to hold the distribution block for the front brake line. I was thinking of using that if possible since I ran a brake line straight from the MC to the caliper.

Thanks for any ideas, photos, or advice on how to do it!

My bike has a 1977 front suspension on it.

A mount fashioned as an L bracket. One leg of the L wide enough to cover both hole in the lower tree. Drill holes to match.
Other leg , one hole for headlight. Taper ends to look good.
Some paint and good to go.

hello. I was gonna ask the same thing although I still need to use brake distribution system. Whats the best way of mounting it if these are still there? If anyone has any photos of their brackets I'd be stoked if you could post them. Also, should they be mounted with rubbers to reduce vibration etc??

you can try something like the first pic weather you make it or buy it to fit on the tripple trees. im making one like the second pic to bolt it on where my speedo and tach are saposed to be but not fully sure yet.

Attachments

• !Bmg)IL!!mk~$(KGrHqQOKjQEtlp-8MqSBLfzSHVKz!~~_3.jpg
    !Bmg)IL!!mk~$(KGrHqQOKjQEtlp-8MqSBLfzSHVKz!~~_3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 87
  • $(KGrHqIOKi4E20Yf5Q1LBN4P3dFl7!~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqIOKi4E20Yf5Q1LBN4P3dFl7!~~_12.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 84
I think the Bates is a 5 3/4 inch light so not sure about the distance from side to side.. I went with this bracket to mount my replica Kawasaki 7 3/4 inch headlight. Not cheap.

Attachments

• HDbracket (Medium).JPG
    HDbracket (Medium).JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 78
Back