Mounting dual output ignition coil, what's this stuff under my tank?

pslaughter

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of installing the PAMCO and have mikes 'ultimate high-output' coil. I got the ground clamps to mount it, but... The place where everyone seems to point it in pictures is occupied! What is this little metal can that sits under the main tube and about the tube that the coils mount to? My PO did a great job of unplugging wires and leaving them, and it seems that this isn't plugged into anything? Not sure, as there are A LOT of wires under the tank that don't go anywhere. Next winter I want to rewire it completely, but for now I want it running well for the summer! :bike:
Thanks!

That would make sense with it not being plugged in. PO removed all the signals. I was thinking it looked like the starter solenoid? I have e-start working and a PMA charging. Just wondering if this is something I can remove!

Does it look like this

Attachments

• tsflsh.jpg
    tsflsh.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 423
It's common to remove all the brackets from the under tank tubes, then use pipe clamps to mount that coil. this pic was stolen from our tracker guru Pregrid.
misctrackerpics010.jpg

You''ll also need longer bolts than the ones provided with the clamps as well! Guys at the hardware store probably think I'm crazy with all the weird stuff I buy there with such great frequency.

Making a custom mount for an aftermarket coil is pretty much par for the course. I use Harley style coils and fabbed a simple sheet metal bracket that includes a tab for the TS flasher. It needed to be moved back slightly to provide room for the coil .....

NewCoilBracket.jpg

NewCoilBracket2.jpg

NewCoilMountedLeft.jpg

NewCoilMountedRight.jpg

This was my first mount using mikes Ultimate Coil

full

And in this one you can just see the rubber insulated clamp holding the Harley style coil on the 2 front down tubes

full

Making a custom mount for an aftermarket coil is pretty much par for the course. I use Harley style coils and fabbed a simple sheet metal bracket that includes a tab for the TS flasher. It needed to be moved back slightly to provide room for the coil .....

NewCoilBracket.jpg

NewCoilBracket2.jpg

NewCoilMountedLeft.jpg

NewCoilMountedRight.jpg
........................ hi guys ,, i did mount my new coil ,,, pamco coil up where the hone used to be ,,mines a 1976 frame ,, then after i finished mounting everything i slung the horn in 2 plastic tires and nobody can see anything i,ve done and it all looks neat regards oldbiker

I mounted mine using the ground-clamp method. The heavy duty flasher I bought didn't stay in the rubber mount anyway, so it's just hanging there.

Back