mounting rear master cylinder....

rustynail99

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok guys, i have a 79 650 with a TC bros hardtail and i am trying to figure out how to mount my rear master cylinder. i know there are some on here that have done that so any suggestions and pictures would be really helpfull. thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Rusty

Rusty, I'm on vacation right now,(so I don't have access to my photos), but if you look through my previous posts, I think there is a nice photo of my rear master setup. I used one inch angle iron welded to the frame withe master on the inside of the rail.

yea i found some pics but you have a different master cylinder than i do. im using the stock one which is much harder to figure out for mounting it seems. might just have to break down and buy one like that, but i was trying to avoid that.

I also used the stock master cylinder. I can't get any pictures until tomorrow, but its pretty simple. Find yourself some scrap metal or get a little sheet of 1/4 inch. I just cut out a bar about an inch wide, and the length depends on how far out you want it. Use a torch and a vise and bend that piece into an L shape. Then cut out another piece to mount to your cylinder and mark and drill your holes. Weld that piece to the L bend, figure out exactly where you want it to go and mount it to your frame. It seems kind of haggard but it doesn't look too bad and works really well.

actually its not really the mounting of the master cylinder that im worried about as much as placement and running the brake hose to the caliper. i am planning on using a set up with forward controls where the rod goes back to the cylinder and pushes in the plunger. the biggest problem im having is the brake line seems to want to run the same direction as the plunger and then i would have to try and have the line wrap around and back to the caliper. im hopin seeing pics will help me figure it out. thanks for the help everybody

I can go into more detail about it and give you pictures and dimensions in the morning if you're interested in doing it that way... Just let me know.

strungxout- that would be great to see the pics and more details. thanks! :)

inkedmonkey, if you wouldnt mind i would still like to see your set up, might give me some ideas. thanks ;) or just a link to a post that shows it would work also.

ok so after looking at a lot of pictures of others bikes, it seems like the best way to mount it is to just buy a new master cylinder that is a little easier to custom mount. any suggestions on that?

Here's mine, but it would only work with mids.

Attachments

• IMG00383.jpg
    IMG00383.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 448
Back