Multiplaz cutter/welder

Pawl

Pawl
Reaction score
My buddy has a Miller plasma cutter & inverter welder which I use for most fab shit, but I'm looking at getting O/A bottles for heating/bending & real small welding & thick cutting. Last night I stumbled onto this contraption. I been researching it on the ol' webnet for a good part of today . . . . seems legit . . .buuuut!!! seems kinda weird to me (me being an old school weldor from the 80's) .. . . any thoughts? . . do flying cars come after this invention?
(I posted this over at xs400.com too.)

http://www.multiplaz.com/about

I Know!!! ... . . . . from what I have found in 24 hrs. of googlsearching, is that every one who owns one of these machines, or has tested one .. . likes it! . . .. and the ones who have not tested it for themselves. . . . . .. are all the negative comments who type that it's toy/gimmick, or re-surfaced failed technology . . . and that, my friends! . . . has got my intest piqued quite a bit! . . . . . However the ++ ratings . . to the truley suspicious, could be construed as marketing plants! as there is not a lot of info on consumables, specs. and good clear video of this Russian/Chinese/Norwegian (no one so far has a clear notion as to what Country this thing originates from) machine performing in a real world situation. . . . . . .. So the jury is still in a deadlock for me before I shell out 2 grand.

I'm sorry but that looks terrible. :(

On the site, the videos never show the "after" shots. I was especially interested in the stainless welding video, but they never once showed the weld after it was finished. Also, they didn't cut the metal in half or anything to show penetration.
The lack of adjustability in the voltage while welding would make it extremely difficult to weld anything but like sized plates to each other. Likewise the large "torch" size would make it almost impossible to reach into a lot of areas. I've got a standard torch for my TIG but I'm going to need to pick up a mini torch soon, too many situations require a really tiny torch.
Also, the cutting portion is just as sloppy as a standard Oxy-Axc torch would be. And again they never show the after photos.
Neat idea for sure, and the lack of having to deal with consumables would be nice, but to me it just looks like a machine that does a lot of things poorly, instead of a good machine that does one thing well.

In my mind, for the same dollar amount, you could pick up a used Miller TIG, and a used plasma cutter for the same price, and be much happier and better off.

My .02 anyway......

yup looks like the 2 in 1 plasma/tig china junk the pops up on every board. I would never even consider buying that. but thats just me. Best of luck (and buy blue!)

I guess if you had too chose I would take the china one. The horse mag did a review on the trail tig or something...and it didnt test bad. Im just not a fan

I actually had one for a couple years, worked great until metal dust arced the main circuit board and fried it.
Can't really say anything bad about it, it always did what it was supposed to do, the real downside was the lack of adjustable voltage as you were welding.

Now that I've had my Miller TIG for a few years, I'd never go back.

So it sounds like no one here knows any more than this than I do?
I found a pretty good thread about it here http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=56610 I find it frustrating that the potentially good equipment out there has to so obscure. . . I had the opportunity to use a really old version of one of these for a while, a couple of years ago http://www.mosa.it/index.php?id=780&L=1&tx_mosa_pi1[showUid]=343&cHash=4929421caa The fuckin' thing was incredible I could run 1/8 rods all day on dick all for gas and best of all, it weighs in at about 65 lbs. you can pick it up with one hand!. . .
A lot of people who HAVEN'T tried it would say it was a toy maybe because it is made in Italy, and not "the big 3" . . . their loss. I have found that like the Multiplaz there is only 1 seller in the US & Canada (that I have found) BURCO INC., and because they are so rare? they are like 5 grand to buy!!! Kinda steep, but I made about $500 bucks in 1 day with it going around the bay to the houseboaters in a 16 ft. Lund, welding on tabs and punching holes in the frames so they could beef up their anchor line systems. (1/2 to 1" steel), I just cranked up the amps and pushed the rod in, lightsaber style.
Sure it sucks that Miller/Lincon/Hobart don't make a machine like this. I just wonder .. . Why???? . .. Do the Italians have a patent on under 200 lb. engine driven welders or WTF?????

Last edited:
hi guys,,, a few years ago,,,, i was doing plant maintenance in a moulding company,,, that had 40 odd moulding machinesand they were tight buying equipment,,,, or materials,,, then 1 day i discovered a plasma cutter,,, and mig ... they are superb to use... i use to use cardboard to rough out what i needed then place it on a sheet of steel and plasma cut to shape... never failed,,, they are a god send ... regards oldbiker

Just google "multiplaz" looks like there is some new stuff, reviews & videos than last year, starting to look promising I'd say! Frankly when I started this thread last year, I was in the market for something to cut as well as bend metal (something a plazma cutter cannot do) so I went and bought a set of torches, and leased some bottles so I sort of forgot about the Multiplaz, but thanks Bwolfie for reminding us to keep an eye on this gizmo, could just turn out to be a real peach!. Now I gotta go check the newer videos & reviews

Back