My 1980 XS650 Extra-Special

BajaKiter

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...
I love these old school bikes! This is my first one and Im pretty pleased so far. She's got her issues. but dont we all. I just thought I'd post a few pics of the project.. yes Im one of those future PO's with an angle to grind that really pisses you off, but I couldn't help it. Her rear end was HUGE. and she was really starting to show her age so I had to do some reconstructive surgery...

Last edited:
Here's the bobbed fender, new chrome bullet lights and the lumpy seat i cut down with a breadknife

Attachments

• IMG_5355.JPG
    IMG_5355.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 104
I am looking for advise on the pipes.. Im doing this on a low budget.. snif snif
Can you just remove the back section? there seems to be a joint there under the motor.. Is that welded?
Any inexpensive bolt-on or DIY options?

Last edited:
Also need to eliminate these monster turn signal. You could poke an eye out with them! Mine are pretty clean... some pitting.. anybody want them?
They seem to be the bolts for the headlight as well. I am always scared to open the headlight on bikes because of the rats nest that lives inside... But this one I cant find the bolt. Do you pull the lens and unbolt it from the inside?

Attachments

• IMG_5359.JPG
    IMG_5359.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 94
NO - access to the headlight bucket is not through the turn signal stalks. They are secured by nuts threaded onto studs which form the ends of the signal stalks INSIDE the bucket. To get inside the bucket, you need to remove the headlight itself.

Removing the Headlight
There are two little JIS (looks like Phillips - BUT are NOT Phillips) screws at the 8 and 4 o'clock positions, viewed from the front of the bike - looking toward the rear.

Remove those little screws (don't lose them - they're sort of special) and the headlight should easily separate from the bucket. You can then simply revove the headlight connector from the headlight and gently set the light assembly aside.

Cheers,

Pete

Back