my 76 xs 650 build

2eightcustoms

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
this bike started this build with a $2000 budget and pieced it together , 76 frame, 79 motor. the frame i hardtailed myself with a 2" stretch, dna 2" under springer modified for xs1 drum front hub laced on a 16" rear rim and spokes 500-16 shinkos front and rear, i made the fender and oil tank out of 16 gauge sheet metal,also made other parts such as battery box, license plate mount, headlight mount, seat pan and mounts, exhaust and the headlight i found at a junkyard. the paint i also did myself silver base gold flake rootbeer candy on top and 18hrs of airbrushing. i rebuild the engine to stock specs, using points, and stock charging system, the cases,head, cylinders, and rockerbox covers were powdercoated gloss black, and i polished all the covers, other new parts include brake shoes front and rear, cables, throttle battery ect. total build time was 1 month 1044253_10151728422288771_944549487_n.jpg

1005634_10151728420768771_1192549954_n.jpg

thanks, i really like it i had to make some axle shims from the 3/4 holes in the rockers to fit the 17mm xs axle, i used the races from the xs cage bearing conversion and had a set of harley bearings. instead of cutting the bottom of the frame/bearing cup i made a shim to raise the bearing off the lower clamp otherwise the frame would bottom out on the lower clamp. i will definatly be using one of these again in up coming builds

what about the front wheel?

it is a rear xs wheel fitted to the front.... really like the look of the twin drum setup

did it brake well whit this setup

Hey 28---You did a great job and the best part is you did it quick and inexpensive---

thanks guys, the front wheel... the 16" rim and spokes (of a rear xs650 wheel) laced to a 70-71 xs1 650 hub. before i painted the hubs i sandblasted both the outside of the hubs and inside where the shoes go cleaning up any glazing from the shoes also new shoes front and rear stops very well considering its twin drum brakes

Back