my 81 hard tail build

jeffh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been looking for a bike to do a hard tail on for over a month yesterday one popped up so today i went to look at it liked it then bought it. It needs a few things like there is a short in the wiring and new battery carbs cleaned up. The bike has been sitting for a little while so thats fine. So when i got it home i immediatly started stripping it down. Its a 1981 special and pretty sweet too
here is how it started
special1.jpg

during
special2.jpg

at the end
specail3.jpg

tomorrow i plan on taking the front end off and then pressure wash the frame then i will be heading to monster craftsman to get the hard tail welded on. i will try my best to post pictures of my progress any comments are welcome
Thanks
Jeff H

hey guys,
i ended up getting it down to the frame on wensday morning
xs650frame.jpg

on thurday i had took it to monster craftsman and John and his crew is some good people and know there stuff
xs650hardtail.jpg

wheelsandframe.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

didnt really do much today except for clean up the mags and the motor ordered basically everything that i need and going to order all my maintenece stuff soon too

ok cool that had the hose that split into two hoses right? what do i do with it get one of those mini coned air filters?

Just search crankcase breather. Some guys use a one way check valve that you can get at an autoparts store or a cone filter like you said.
Just don't plug it. It needs to breathe.

ok cool! thanks Hard y rd
Just placed my order with mikes xs how is his shipping pretty fast he is in florida and i am in pennsylvania I was thinking a few days to get to me. Does that sound about right?

Their shipping is pretty quick. I'm in Canada so I get stuff from xs650direct.com. Same place but the canadian version. Remember when you place an order with them that anything over $150 bones the shipping is free. Well worth waiting for. Shipping on the small things is crazy.

I used that size for a few months, it was kick only though. I don't think it would spin the starter.

yeah i think i am going to do the kick only too you think i could "kick" a motor over that hasnt really ran in the past few years?

Yes you can! When I first got my xs it had been sitting for quite some time in pieces but the motor was free and once I got the ignition and carbs sorted I was able to kick it to life rather easily. I squirted some gas in the carbs and kicked it 3 or 4 times and had signs of life.

hey guys just an update i had welded the biltwell seat pivot on with the spring mounts and had put on the hugh's billet pieces for the triple and put on my inch risers on with my biltwell tracker bars with the 1 inch throttle. My gas tank comes tomorrow and i think im going to tackle the wiring tomorrow going to use this thread as a reference.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522
on to the pictures of my bike
IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

any imput is welcome thanks

only question would be for the headlight mount i am thinking of just using angle iron and putting two holes in for the bolt and that post for the brake part. What do you think of this idea if you have a suggestion please let me know
Thanks
Jeff h

so here is what i have for materials:
IMG_1004.jpg

that is my fuse block which i am pretty sure every one uses part #buss fuses Cat No.
bp/15600-06-20
IMG_1003.jpg

this is my head light swich i want to wire it for high/low beam it has six connections on the back
IMG_1002.jpg

got it from radio shack part #275-0710
this is my kill switch it has three connections on the back the third is a bronze color and is marked + the other are marked 1 and 2
IMG_1001.jpg

part #275-0020
IMG_0998.jpg

this is my ignition that i want to use it has 4 connections in the back one for battery one for accesory one for ignition and the other one isnt marked
so i am asking if any of you guys can please help me so i can get the electrical out of the way. I had tried to work from the head light back by using a jump box as my power and it turned on the headlight but as soon as i put the kill switch in it didnt light up. i dont understand how to hook up the ignition switch or the headlight switch.

Back in the day we hooked up our ignition to the accessory lug and the lights to the ignition lug. Turn to the left for ignition only and to the right for ignition and lights. But that was before "headlights on all the time" laws so I guess that's a moot point now.

bump come on guys i would like some kind of lead does anybody know if daddygcycles could posibley help me?

HI Jeff
Jon and those crazy guys are the best aint they. Its a secret so don't tell anyone. HAHA Next time you see j
Jon tell him i said Hello.
OK what do you need. So far looks like you got the parts but kick only with that battery. Make sure you put some WD40 into those cylinders before you start that bike. If it sat a long time chances are it could be a little gunked up so be safe.
You can email me direct at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM and i can help you out
KEEP CHOPPIN

Sorry there have been no updates I have been busy with the wiring and it's been giving me headaches but I am hoping to start it real soon I just have to put the sump filter back on I made my own gasket with rtv black and today my plan is to get that on put oil in and maybe it won't leak this time. And work on that wiring harness too for the engine side I will post pictures at the end of the day

Back