My bike hates new tires! Won't run...

jmink427

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Rode the bike to work today got home and my new tires and tube had been delivered. So I installed the front tire, took the bike for a short ride not even a mile and it wasn't running correctly.... Don't know why ran fine on the way home from work, only thing that has changed is the new front tire...:wtf: I found that it isn't running on the right cylinder i could operate the right carb and the engine wouldn't rev any, left side would. I pulled the plug and cranked it and it is firing. But I swapped the plugs from left to right and now it won't do anything. Both plug fire out of the cylinder but when installed they wont. I now this because they will not trigger the timing light when in the cylinder.... I was checking to make sure it hadn't jumped time. with the plugs out it will fire the light and the timing is spot on... I also looked at the valves through the plug hole to make sure the cam wasn't out of time as well, far as I can tell it looks good to... I guess the plugs are just fouled..... I don't know what happened I looked at them last week and they looked great nice and golden... but today they were a little carboned up but I have seen a lot worse that still ran... I'm going to get two new plugs tomorrow and see what happens....:shrug:

Sounds like the new tire disrupted the fine balance of your highly tuned machine. What were you thinking ? You MUST put on both a new front tire and a new rear tire otherwise everything is out of sync.

Got both tires on and put fresh plugs in it.... It will start now but will barely hit on the right bank. I checked and clean the points with lacquer thinner and a business card and they are in spec. at about .014" I thing I read they are suppose to be .012" to .018".... I rode it again still same result, no power once the rpms came up it cleaned up a little and start pulling hard but nothing down low.. I f a operate the left throttle the engine revs, if I do the right it just coughs and black smoke comes out the pipe like it is very fat (rich) so I pulled the plugs and the left looks good and the right one is already black.. I guess I will pull the carb and check it out.. I went through them a couple months ago no problems till now.. Just all of a sudden.... Any suggestions....

Try switching plug wires, left to right. If the right side is still screwed up I'd go thru that right carb again. Thirty-five year old coils, condensers, points, plug wires and associated wiring are always suspect.

I think I found it......:wtf:. The needle for the main jet in the right carb came out of the jet.... I guess the needle plate some how got stuck or twist and it allow the needle to come out... the plate was cross ways in the bore and the needle was hung between it... Don't how it happened but it did.. I guess maybe from a backfire from when it was cold......:shrug:

WP_000383-1.jpg

Yeah, I can see how that would cause a problem. Hope its not bent.

Nope wasn't bent... took it apart put back together ran great... So I took it out to break in the new tires about 60 miles or so..... I still can't figure out how it got that way.... :shrug:

Back