My bike is lurching forward

jdm9123

78 xs650SE
Reaction score
Ok, so I have had my bike running now for about a week. A few things are bothering me about it and I need some advice. First off, the bike will not idle to save it's life. It fluctuates so much from 1500-3000rpm and as i adjust the idle screw in and out it just seems to have a mind of its own. Secondly, the bike backfires non-stop at low rpm and decel. Third, in first gear I have had the bike lurch forward as I open the throttle up as well as have it hesitate some when I increase the throttle. The lurching forward and hesitation have only happened in first but I have not ridden the bike much yet as it isn't street legal yet =D I am hoping that the issues I am having are related. Slow jet possibly? And I have checked the valve lash which resulted in the intake valves being in spec and both exhaust valves were out but I have not re-adjusted them because I do not have a screw and lock not tool yet. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, one more thing. If i rev the bike up as it's sitting at idle it will hang up at higher rpms. It seems like the bike is lean right now and maybe needs a pilot adjustment.

You only need a 10mm wrench and a thickness gauge to set valves.
The usual suspects on your carburation, air leaks at intakes and throttle shafts, synch the carbs. Dump your float bowls into clean white container, a cut up quart oil can works great, look and see if you have crap in your gas yet.
You have overhauled the carbs using the guide and replaced parts as needed, right?

Back