My build. 80 XS650

trentjanelle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thought I'd put a build thread together.

I'm hoping it will keep me motivated.

It started of as a beautiful XS650 Special, which i'm now thinking i never should of cut up.

390_zpsb418d9e9.jpg

391_zps7d1fa2a3.jpg

392_zpsfb05398b.jpg

which just need the engine rebuilt.

Anyway like always i got sucked in to ripping it down and making a custom.

a had every intention of making it into a cafe racer because of the ease of it with these types of bikes.

instead, i got talked into making a custom/swing arm bobber.

so this is as far as i have got to so far.

S1020001_zpse05e04ad.jpg

S1020026_zpscb76b3bb.jpg

This is the VI brat rear section (awesome product)
S1020027_zps01f5ddcf.jpg

Here are the Bars and hand controls, grips and foot pegs.

S1020028_zpsb0e71110.jpg

S1020008_zps72584615.jpg

S1020014_zpsf2a1627d.jpg

Ebay special Fender and peanut tank, with brass petcock
S1020005_zpsb48dc642.jpg

S1020004_zpsb79fc323.jpg

S1020025_zpsf4099b00.jpg

S1020003_zps6c629612.jpg

S1020002_zps54ca32f2.jpg

I'm not loving the fender anymore and will eventually swap it for a leadsled style one.

These are the bullet indicators, taillight and headlight.

S1020011_zps6f9a5dbe.jpg

S1020012_zps94f2b9a0.jpg

10.5 Burly Slammers and HHB 3" lowering kit
S1020010_zps7b122a00.jpg

And these are the main thing i want to finish this bike, because i want to hear these thing at full noise!!! Hugh props to Joe Wise Guy for putting these together!!!:thumbsup:

MVC-051S_zps441dda31.jpg

MVC-050S_zps8164faee.jpg

S1020018_zps810593a7.jpg

S1020017_zpsd6030a1d.jpg

Thats as far as i have gotten so far but i have pulled the engine down to the cases, which i'll be splitting.
I've got

new pistons
HHB PMA
Pamco
Hi Performance Oil cooler.
new cam chain and guide
and a typical rebuild kit. (gaskets and filters)

anyway, come at me with comments, suggestions, abuse threats or whatever.
thanks guys

Those pipes look intense! :thumbsup:
Are they going to be road legal? Also are you going to get the frame engineered? I'm thinking I will on mine but haven't looked into cost or difficulty of doing it yet.

I wasn't going to do either until i'm made to... the bike i still licenced and it won't be louder than most harleys. i ask the guys at the welshpool pits and i explained what i was doing and they said i wouldn't have to get it engineered. they just wanted me to bring it over the pits when i'm done to make sure... but i won't be doing that and i don't trust what they say anyway. i'll just coss that bridge when i come to it.

Yeh I promised my old man I would get it done.
Even though its registered already so I could get away with it.
Ill let you know what I find out. Re: price and requirements.

Looks like its going to be a kool build dude!!

I just had my file started here in NSW with my engineer.. It's not cheap, not that hard but depending on the style of bike you want to build most of it is things you don't want to hear...

This of cause is my engineer and here in NSW.

* It cost me $220 to start the file.. And will be around another $1400 once complete..
* Any frame mods have to be engineered.. most mods in general have to be..
* Exhaust has to be 96db or lower, doesn't seem to matter what style etc you use..
* Ride hight has to be 100mm or higher
* Have to run both front and rear guards. Front 3 o'clock, 12 o'clock coverage, rear has to cover 45deg front and rear out from the axle.. Both have to cover the complete width of the tyre..
* have to run all lights, blinkers etc. there are location regulations too and they have to be certified and have the (E) markings.
* there's regulations on widths and heights of your bars also from memory they can not be welded anywhere only bends
* have to have all switches in stock locations
* no suiside clutch..
* some suiside shifter locations are ok some not.
* all pegs no matter where there located have to fold

These are the main ones, rest are safety crap.. things like, you have to run front and rear brakes and you cant down grade them.. So if your bike had disk front you cant swap it out for a mini drum or anything like that...

So here in NSW your bars, rear fender and probably lights would not pass...

I hate engineers/engineering but what do you do...

Last edited:
I wasn't going to do either until i'm made to... the bike i still licenced and it won't be louder than most harleys. i ask the guys at the welshpool pits and i explained what i was doing and they said i wouldn't have to get it engineered. they just wanted me to bring it over the pits when i'm done to make sure... but i won't be doing that and i don't trust what they say anyway. i'll just coss that bridge when i come to it.

Hey,

I have some solid info on getting engineering etc. done here in Perth. Floated some info on my build thread but hit me up if you still want the low down man. Sounds like its not going to be too costly at all. couple of green ones apparently... $300 - $400 for the whole process...

Cheers

Back