My Build Thread...XS-ively Kong'd!

got556

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My Build Thread

Okay guys and gals, picked up my 83 Heritage today from member Zach. Got a little bit of work to do, but she runs strong (according to Zach and I trust him) however the vacuum petcock was failing and filling the carbs so I didn't bother trying to fix that as I'm getting rid of the stock tank.

So the plans for this build are the following:

Kong the rear end. Chop the fender and tail so the frame ends at the shock/strut mounts and the fender goes about 3 inches past that.

Honda Rebel 10.5" rears.

Move the seat rails down 3", no curve, just a cut and move.

Drag or Z bars.

Different carb setup.

Cut the stock exhaust at the muffler and wrap w/ black wrap.

Getting rid of the wire wheels and going w/ the mag wheels (sorry wheels are already spoken for)

PAMCO and PMA

Make a skinny/flat-ish padded seat that goes down the whole seat rail and comes up onto the fender a couple inches making it appear to be able to two up (even though as low as the rear will be I highly doubt I'll be able to carry more than a mouse on the back).

Avon tires

No turns, only headlamp and tail lamp.

I've got your stereotypical sportster style tank and petcock (gravity feed) coming.

Smaller battery (one of those $20 ones)

Basically run it kick start only.

Lower the forks 3" w/ Hugh's lowering shims (or do hickeys or whatever you wanna call them....spacers).

Paint the outer tubes on the forks black, black fork gators, black almost everything. Black wheels. Matte light blue on the tank and fender.

So those are the initial plans and I'm sure I'm going to go way past my budget but my goal is to get this done by the end of summer so I can at least enjoy it in the fall a bit. Here in Chicago we only have 4 to 5 months of decent riding weather :(

It was a hell of a trip to and from to buy the bike. Construction and an accident slowing down traffic to a stand still delayed me about 30 to 45 minutes getting to Zach's and on the way back, I hit the beginning of rush hour at 2PM on 90 and ended up delaying me back home by about an hour or so. And don't even mention or ask how Zach and I got a stock XS650 into a brand new Uhaul van w/ no ramp....and then my buddy and I got it out w/ no ramp. That was...not fun.

W/out further adeu (sp?), here is what the bike looked like today when I bought it from Zach (Zach's picture) and below is what it looks like as of tonight after about an hour and a half of stripping it down. I will have lots of stock parts for sale, including the '83 TCI system and wiring harness.

Also, I know this bike was meant to be b/c the owner before Zach, had put a St. Louis Cardinals cover on it :D:thumbsup: And I am probably the biggest Cardinals fan in this region lol.

So if you think, based on my list you know a stock item you might want, just let me know via PM and shoot me an offer.

Also this will be my build thread and I will update it as much as I can. Sadly I won't be doing the welding/cutting on this b/c I don't have a welder or space. It's getting stripped in a secure alley behind my apartment and will be assembled in my studio apartment, two flights up.

5862170146_895e12497a_b.jpg

5862171378_87b1425843_b.jpg

5861621515_1fbc436995_b.jpg

5862173432_be7f16eebe_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

So I'm paying for the new tank, petcock, and cap tomorrow.

Then hopefully next week (if they're in stock) get Hugh's PMA and order the PAMCO ultimate.

One question however. Mine is an '83, if I buy the Ultimate PAMCO + Auto Advance, that's all I need right? On MikeXS site it says something about gathering more parts if you're replacing the TCI system!?!?! A little bit confused on that.

I believe you need all the parts that go to an point ignition except the points,condensers, and the backing plate.

Okay thanks :) I'm guessing Mike's XS site has those.

ETA: It looks like they have the kit for 80-84 that doesn't make you buy any parts separate. :)

Okay guys sorry no pics but I ordered the following parts

Visual Impact Brat Kit
7/8" Z bars (handle bars)
Sporty tank w/ manual petcock
Paint
Black Header Wrap
Low Brow '33 Style Left hand brake light and license plate bracket
Uni Pod Filters
Low Brow Coil Mount
Gran Turismo 7/8" Grips
TC Bros 4" Headlight w/ bottom mount
Universal Bottom Mount for headlight
Bronze Swingarm Bushings
Eastwood High Temp Satin Black paint
Left Hand CRG Lane Splitter Mirror

Still need to order

PAMCO
PMA
Hugh's spacers for lowering front forks
Fork Gators
11" black progressive shocks (I'm in the talks w/ Progressive right now about getting a custom setup made for me)
Tires

This bike will be kick only and running only headlight and tail light.

Basically next paycheck will be used to buy the rest of the parts I need. Found a co worker willing to tig weld the kit :)

I'm going to drop the seat w/ the kit and fab up w/ fiberglass a seat somewhat similar to Rocker Bob's Cycle Works Pintail seat made for Dyna's.

Going to run fenderless both front and rear.

Frame will be gloss black, wheel's will be gloss black. Pipes will be wrapped w/ black exhaust wrap. The PAMCO comes w/ yellow plug wires so the nipples for the spokes on the wheels are going to be yellow. Tank will be flat black, jugs on the motor will be flat black w/ the edges of the fins exposed/bare metal. Mostly going to be all blacked out.

Will look somewhat like this and the seat on this bike is the Pintail seat I was talking about.

http://www.hdridersusa.com/frame-chassis/1736-dyna-street-bob-new-seat-construction-scratch-4.html

Thought about going w/ fowards but after riding a few bikes w/ fowards I'm just not sure I want to have the wind blowing up my legs all the time. Plus at night and country riding, the endless galore of bugs shooting up there just doesn't sound pleasing.

Finally I'm getting somewhere with this bike :)

Happy 4th of July to all my fellow Americans :)

Last edited:
Well Progressive said they can't do that short of shocks for the XS's....so I've got another plan in the works.

Got some stuff in today.

Z bars from member erklep (Thanks bro)

Sporty tank, cap, and petcock from a member over on DoTheTon

Montana Gold Paint to rattle bomb the tins, frame, and wheels

100' of black header wrap w/ black ties

5910566939_477dfa9536_b.jpg

5911123020_a6f0a24760_b.jpg

Don't you just feel like a kid on xmas when packages arrive? Looks like you are off to a good start. I knew you looked familiar.
warrior2.jpg

Haha...ya the place I ordered it from had a deal where if you bought so much they would throw in a can of black for free....I bought enough to get two free cans :)

Plus not ever having used Montana Gold before, I wasn't sure how much it would take. I'm more of a Krylon and AR15 type painter lol. And speaking of ar15's....a guy on ARFCOM (AR15.com) used to have that picture as his avatar forever lol. Great story behind that too.

I tag paper with a pencil, pen, and markers, but never done it w/ paint and also doing something illegally. Wouldn't sit too well having a fed officer get caught tagging lol.

But I was worried about gas eating the paint on the tank so I did a lot of researching and lots of people said to use montana gold and you should be good to go. Said it's a lot better than the usual Krylons, VHT's, etc w/out going to a full on paint setup and professional jobs.

I don't know why, but I really dig stencil tags. Even though there are some REALLY badass artists out there who do real murals....

I agree...I love watching the trains go by and seeing some quality work. It's kinda like weed...ya it's illegal but I'm not gonna judge the people that do it.

I don't know if I have any work on my new computer but here's one I did while all the little inmates were locked down and I barely had enough light to see the paper lol...(it says Patrick...my name)

n30404315_34576836_437.jpg

Haha!

Well got some more parts in from Lowbrow and another place. I'll get pics when I get home from work but I got the following.

Lowbrow large coil mount
Lowbrow '33 Ford Tailight and license bracket (PC'd black)
Gran Turismo black grips
Tapered Bearings for steering stem/head :) (ordered off ebay)

Also got my Levi 501's in lol...they're a bit too long but I cuff/roll them up anyways. *FYI* Levi's website is having some great sales right now.

Okay thanks

Im not doing anything gold. The cans are just gold in color. :) The whole bike will be a mixture of parts consisting of matte black and gloss black.

Got some decisions to make. The Visual Impact kit is on its way but I'm trying to debate whether I want to lower the forks or not. May just have to wait and see after it's all put together. Secondly I'm thinking I'll need to go with fwd controls now b/c I'm doing a pretty decent drop on the seat and not sure the stock foot controls will be comfortable.

Decisions decisions. Ordered some different bars also. 8" Z style bars :)

Wonder if G&L or TC Bros fwds work with stock exhaust???

Last edited:
Told ya'll it'd be a long build lol. Actually I'm taking my time so I can have the cash to buy quality parts and not rush it.

Found me a guy to help weld my Visual Impact brat kit. That will be done before winter hits here in IL.

I've been working 65 to 80 hour weeks for the last month or so (looking fwd to those paychecks to start hitting my bank) and so I really haven't had much time to do anything but sleep and work.

Today on my day off got quite a bit accomplished. Although I must say it wasn't easy. Being a one man show right now I was balancing the bike on two jack stands and a jack while removing the front end and the rear lol. I had many almost "Oh Shit" moments but got her back down on the frame/ground. My karma must be doing good lately.

Things I still need to order are:

Hugh's PMA, Ultimate PAMCO + Advance, Hugh's 2" lowering sleeves for the forks, a Powder coating setup, 21" wheel and spokes to mount to my 64 spoke front hub. Leaving the rear as is. Oh and tires tires tires. Probably Avon Venoms. Also need to order some new brake lines, and clutch cable. (possibly speedo cable also...we'll see with the bars...8" rise)

Anyways...here's some pics.

Visual Impact Brat Kit
5934704676_e16cc7f4dd_z.jpg

Your standard sporty tank
5934705230_b8a21ef16c_z.jpg

Black Header wrap (cutting exhaust off at the mufflers)
5934143355_3e6b5611b6_z.jpg

Coil Mount
5934144165_d1127ef873_z.jpg

CRG Lane Splitter Mirror
5934144905_7708a60a53_z.jpg

Tapered Steering Bearings
5934145791_e21aca9733_z.jpg

Lowbrow License Plate mount and tail light (ya pretty standard stuff lol)
5934146565_82f791a8d6_z.jpg

Lowbrow GranTurismo grips
5934709722_b8c102e929_z.jpg

Also got some of those fork boots from MikesXS that I haven't heard such great things about :(

Roland Sands replica 7/8" bars (8" rise)
6053782191_1d01b5c156_z.jpg

Also picked up a 4.5" bates style headlight.

Here's the progress I got done today

6054326840_a3b47bf1c1_z.jpg

6054327300_93b3ab9e98_z.jpg

6054327860_5cda678024_z.jpg

6053778039_41f8e93d45_z.jpg

And took my boy to the fair a little bit ago back where I grew up....and he wanted to try on "dada's" helmet, and now I'm gonna wrap it up with some Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout

5935777418_f563bc79cb_z.jpg

5935218177_7cb3a65183_z.jpg

6054331100_dacabc88d1_z.jpg

6053781473_da65779d86_z.jpg

Back