MY CAMSHAFT MARKER is NOT PERFECTLY VERTICAL

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Just finished putting the top end back together after new pistons and rings arrived.

Withe the cylinder head in place and the three bolts put in (but not torqued) I put the pistons at top dead centre lined up with my new accurate mark on the PMA. I slide the camshalft through the cam chain (took a bit of work with the new, tight cam chain) and put the bearings in place.

I noticed that the cam chain marker which should be vertical, is in fact a couple of degrees off vertical (say three minutes to the hour if is was a clock). I moved it to vertical and the marker on the PMA shifted slightly in advance of TDC. The pistons don't seem to have moved any.

QUESTION
Should I remove the head cover again and try to re-align?

Anlaf

Retiredgentleman, that's the marker I mean - it was inclined ever so slightly left as you look (pistons at TDC).

So, I took off the head, released the cam chain adjuster, removed the bearings and moved the chain one link (from th eback to the front - still not right. I moved it another link - perfection.

I have put it back together now and ready to finish off putting on the exhaust pipes, carbs, etc - but WOW! I was two links off (think of the timing problems!).

Thanks for your comments, Retiredgentleman, appreciated as ever.

Anlaf

Well done, glad you got that bad boy lined up.:thumbsup:

I don't think we are talking about the same reference marks. The vertical mark (its a slot) is on the left side, and should be at 12:00. The punch mark (just a dot), is on the right side of the gear, and should be exactly even with the top surface of the head, so that is 09:00.

Ah! ha - I just looked on the donor engine camshaft and I see the mark. I set the the slot exactly vertical so the dot will be at 9.00.

I just finished putting the whole bike together - tomorrow a late summer ride (or will it be early autumn?).

Anlaf

Ah! ha - I just looked on the donor engine camshaft and I see the mark. I set the the slot exactly vertical so the dot will be at 9.00.

I just finished putting the whole bike together - tomorrow a late summer ride (or will it be early autumn?).

Anlaf

Back