my Father in Law gave me a 1979 XS650 and this weekend we rebuilt it. Galleries included.

daniel deblanke

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bike was originally found abandoned in a parking lot.
My FIL found the owner and bought it. And did a complete rebuild in 2002 or so.
Over the years he had the frame powder coated, added a 1977 tank, and rechromed all the bits.
Then he picked up ANOTHER XS650 and rebuilt that, making it more of a sporty version.

So he decided to give me the first XS650.
BUT it needed a new timing chain. So that led to us rebuilding the top end, changing pistons, new cylinders, valve job, etc...
All over a HOT labor day weekend.

Here is the final product:
szxEi1R.jpg

we kept the bike original to style in it's looks. I love the 70's and the vibe of the bike. In my neighborhood every similar MC is a cafe racer it seems. NOT this one!

Here are the galleries:

View post on imgur.com pictures of the found bike, etc.
View post on imgur.com timing chain replacement and valve job
View post on imgur.com details of modifications to bike, and reassembly

My FIL is a true MC Guru and it was a ton of fun (and hard work) getting this thing redone in one weekend.
After riding it around it really sounded and felt great, and the only thing we had to do was adjust a clicking valve.

hope you enjoy the pics.

I just love your bike. Very smart!!!!

.... also, thank you for the information you shared in the form of photos. I have shared your information on the VR291 regulator in the thread "Regulator Rectifier Conversion (again)" where just today another forum member has requested information on the wiring assignments. I hope this is OK with you.

Last edited:
yeah of course!!

if anyone has any more requests for these specific mods just ask!

I just love your bike. Very smart!!!!

.... also, thank you for the information you shared in the form of photos. I have shared your information on the VR291 regulator in the thread "Regulator Rectifier Conversion (again)" where just today another forum member has requested information on the wiring assignments. I hope this is OK with you.

How do you handle emissions testing with one of these in LA?

Back