My first 1000 miles!

I took a lot of my inspiration from Mailmans build. He's got the midas touch when it comes to being picky! You can eat off the damn thing!
I am so glad to hear of folk getting some higher mileage with just good routine maintenance. Was afraid I was gona have to work on it for every mile!
Thanks Bob,
Thu

2M Thanks for those links, some interesting reading in there. I’ll have to pull that switch and see if the center can be tightened up, if not, I’ll order a new one, but I’d really like to keep the original.

David, thanks buddy! It’s good to see you active again, I hope you’re feeling well. I’m looking forward to seeing you riding that bike, but you may have to get a chin strap for that sombrero of yours! :laugh2:

Norton 7D, thank you! I’ve been following your build, that’s gonna be a beauty too. You’re doing some nice work!

Thuban, thanks! I read your story in the “ why did you buy an XS” thread, very inspiring! I’m happy to hear you are getting back into the sport. I hope you have a lot of fun with your bike!

The switch on my '78 was leaking so I bought a new one from Yamaha. Not good, they're all plastic now. Turns out my original was just a bit loose is all. Snugging it up stopped the leaking, although it does sweat a little. I can live with that though.

Yup, I think I’m up to around 4500 miles since the rebuild. Lakeview and I did more than 600 miles on our VYR / Barber Museum junket alone. In fact, I think I’ve put nearly 12,000 miles on Lucille since she came back to life in 2016. Pretty good for a cranky old bag.
Pete

Pete,

I think I got her sister.

GD

Let me preface this by saying, this is the first compression tester I have ever owned or used, and I have only used it once before, when checking this bike right after I got it assembled. Some of my readings , or lack there of , could be attributed to my technique ( or lack there of :D ) .

The first time I tested my compression before putting any miles on, carburetors off the engine.

Left side 135
Right side 145

I knew those numbers weren’t promising, but I was hopeful that after the new rings seated, I would get better numbers.

Taken today. Air boxes in place, filters still in, just holding the throttle open.

Left 130
Right 130. :yikes: Yikes!

Removed air filters, propped open the slides, held throttle wide open.

Left 145
Right 150

All readings taken with plugs removed , using the kick starter only ( and remembering why I sold my old Triumph Bonneville )

I wish the numbers were higher, frankly I’m unsure why they’re not. But the bike starts and runs well and I guess I’m just gonna have to be happy with that.

Doing a little more inspection, I wanted to see how all of my seals were holding up. I pulled the cover and it was clean underneath , just a little oil slung off the chain. My home made cereal box gasket holding up nicely! :laugh:
View attachment 152010

I replaced every seal under here, the drive shaft seal, twice! None are leaking.
View attachment 152011

No oil showing underneath the stator housing, so my crankshaft seal is still tight.
View attachment 152014

The only leak I’ve got today is coming from my neutral switch. Whatever seals this thing is breaking down and drooling a little. I’ve already wiped it off here, can anyone tell me , if I pull this switch, are there any surprises I should be aware of, anything to fall out? I’d like to replace that sealing washer.
View attachment 152013

So that’s it for now, I still need to do an oil change, but another day.
Bob

G'day B-O-B,

My brother from another mother........that is surgically clean.

I see the OCD king lives.

GeeDub

1000 miles Bob! I remember when you bought her. Now she looks exceptional and, with a grand under her belt, obviously she runs as good as she looks. Once again, attention to detail, patience, a lot of hard work and a good deal of ingenuity have put you on top. I agree with Jim and offer "salaam" to a guru of the XS dream.
Now, you have the '77 and the XS2. The next obvious purchase is a '78 Special to complete your assortment of 650's. I'd love to follow as you put one of those back in shape!
Cheers
Dave,

How is your machine going??

GeeDub

It's slow GW but I'm back to being obsessive about it and seeing some progress. I'll post some photos when the wheel goes back on and the headlight is in place. It's all there but I keep getting distracted by things like discs, calipers and master cylinders. Still.... one has to stop I suppose! I had the master cylinder organised and paid for but the vendor contacted me to say it was damaged in storage and he couldn't sell it to me. I thought it was a sweet deal for a complete late model but I got over it. Found another that needs some work so I am waiting for it to arrive to see how much. We get there in the end. Hope you are travelling well and clocking a few miles.

Back