My first bike: 1983 XS650K Heritage Special

Bob_Beard

Total Newb
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I'm Bob. Month-long reader, first-time poster. I've been meaning to do an intro post for a while now, so here it is:

13709844133101_zps231bc72f.jpg

I picked up this beauty about a month ago. I started looking at these forums before I bought the bike to familiarize myself with some of the common issues and figure out some of the things I should be looking for before buying. I honestly didn't get very far with that, and after a friend looked it over for me, I decided to buy the bike. I'm no mechanic, and I have no motorcycle experience prior to this bike, so it has been a learning experience and will continue to be a learning experience for me. So far, this is all I've done from a maintenance/repair standpoint:

• Noticed my vacuum petcock spitting gas out of the vent hole. I took it apart and plugged the vent hole with a small piece of rubber band (a temporary fix). I will be replacing the original with a simple on/off valve from Mike's very soon.
  • Shortly after purchasing the bike, I realized my swingarm pivot bolt was broken at the threads. After riding around with the bolt jury rigged into place with a bent piece of steel replacing the washer behind one of my footpeg nuts, I finally replaced the bolt with one from Mike's. I also found that the previous owner had already installed the bronze swingarm bushings and a third grease gun fitting under the swingarm.
  • Most recently, decided that the cause of My sporadic oil leaks is "overfilling" the gas tank. This seems to create excessive pressure on the faulty petcock which leads to a chain reaction: flooded carbs; gas in oil; overfull gearbox.

Guess I'm not riding anymore until I replace the petcock and change the oil. The hard part is getting the rear drain plug loose.

Anyway, I plan on keeping this one as close to stock as possible. Doesn't need much restoration that I'm aware of. I'm just fixing things as they pop up. Soon enough I'll start searching for problems more aggressively. I've just been trying to familiarize myself with all the components for now.

If any of my terminology or cause/effect logic seems flawed, allow me to state once more that I am new to motorcycling, especially the repair side, and am simply trying to learn by doing. Also, I'm poor and this bike is my only mode of transportation. I'm posting from my phone, so hopefully this all makes sense.

I'm glad to be joining a new community, and look forward to learning all I can and perhaps getting to know some of you. I'm definitely interested in meeting whoever's near me and perhaps further along on their path to XS enlightenment. I'm happy to receive advice and answer any questions. Definitely looking forward to writing some shorter posts.

Someone who knew 650's had this bike. It is a good ways from stock.
All improvements not just some bullshit hung on it. imho.
You've found a keeper Bob. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, guys. To what accessories are you referring, nj1639? I haven't figured out all the accessory package differences yet.

The front rim with the 64 spokes, rear with the 48, cam end covers with the '650' logo added. There's a lower set of sidecovers that mount below the air box covers.....ever elusive and it appears that you may be missing yours. Choke control is on the left handlebar switch.
The engine came factory blackened. These and a few safety features are found specific to the '82 and '83 US models.....other exports may differ.

Sounds like you have done your research and are on the way to a good runner. IMHO rebuilding a stock vacuum petcock is a good alternative to replacement, get a kit and read the petcock overhaul thread on here for best results. If you do go with a replacement remember you have the wider spaced vacuum mounting bolt holes.
It sounds like you have it covered but never run an engine with gas in the oil. That can get VERY expensive very quickly.
A leaky petcock can also cause hydro lock and bend a rod. Don't recall ever hearing it happen on an XS650 but it does happen.

Nice looking machine!
You should check plugs for color once the petcock is dealt with. With those pipes the carbs near certainly need rejetting and unless you know the PO has done it right you may spend some time getting it right. You may also want to drop the pipes and see if you have reversion cones in there. Those look like really big diameter headers which are about impossible to tune for best (street) performance unless they have some sort of cones at the head.
If you get to to doing the jetting it will help to tell us what air filters are behind the side covers there are some do and don't there that will aid any tuning work.

If you do go with a replacement remember you have the wider spaced vacuum mounting bolt holes.

There's a replacement on Mike's. The description says the bolt holes are 46mm apart, center to center. That's what my digital calipers are reading on the current screws. Should be a simple swap. Aside from one blind plug (I only have on petcock), is there anything else I'll need that I haven't thought of?

I'll probably rebuild the vacuum petcock one day, but I'm thinking the simple on/off is a good idea, and something I should have as a backup in the future, anyway.

Welcome Bob. Best of luck with your bike. Maybe I'll see you riding around sometime If I can keep mine on the road. :thumbsup:

If your doin the petcock, you may consider a new filter and some new fuel line. Handy to have around anyway.

Attachments

• DSC_0365.jpg
    DSC_0365.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 87
Back