Still Cant Get My Bike to Start

1974yamahaxs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey, mechanics! I've had a bike that I've been working on for a while now and I STILL can't seem to get it running. At first I had thought that the ignition timing was off and messed with that a whole lot. Then, come to find out I had a bent valve rod. In the process of all that I rebuilt the top end. Got it all back together and put in the frame the carburettors on and hooked up but I'm pretty dang sure they aren't balanced... at all... one side is practically FLOWING gas out of the air intake and the other side looks totally dry... I guess I'm just asking if anyone could tell me if that could be the only reason my bike is still not running and how to balance them without the bike running.

I am not good at carburetors other here are much better
Having said that .Every year after winter there is some kind of startup problems
I believe your float valves can be sticking and one is not sealing .
But dry can be good ...NO need for gas on the outside
Try to tap on the bowl outside with a soft screwdriver handle getting it to move.stop leaking .. out
No mention what carburetors but I believe it can be accessed from down without taking the carbs out.

I am not good at carburetors other here are much better
Having said that .Every year after winter there is some kind of startup problems
I believe your float valves can be sticking and one is not sealing .
But dry can be good ...NO need for gas on the outside
Try to tap on the bowl outside with a soft screwdriver handle getting it to move.stop leaking .. out
No mention what carburetors but I believe it can be accessed from down without taking the carbs out.
Yah I would think that too but i had the carbs rebuilt by a professional back in like august or so and he said they looked pretty good.

Yah I would think that too but i had the carbs rebuilt by a professional back in like august or so and he said they looked pretty good.
Some carburetors have a bottom drain screw one per bowl
why not shut of the gas line
open these drain plugs se if something is coming out from both let it empty .
drain screw back in.
and then open fuel again
Is nothing happening at all trying to start Nothing on any cylinder?

With NO gas in the carbs a healthy (correctly assembled) engine will almost always start and run for a few seconds on a shot of carb cleaner in each intake.

Some carburetors have a bottom drain screw one per bowl
why not shut of the gas line
open these drain plugs se if something is coming out from both let it empty .
drain screw back in.
and then open fuel again
Is nothing happening at all trying to start Nothing on any cylinder?
So the right side is the side that seems to be flooding the carbs... I don't know what level of fuel is getting to the heads but the right side will fire a few times and then it just doesn't do anything after that and only cranks with the occasional little pop or sputter every couple rotations... (I'll post a video of it tmr)... The other side does basically nothing... I just think the right side is sucking all the fuel and flooding itself while the left side is just not getting anything

Hey, mechanics! I've had a bike that I've been working on for a while now and I STILL can't seem to get it running. At first I had thought that the ignition timing was off and messed with that a whole lot. Then, come to find out I had a bent valve rod. In the process of all that I rebuilt the top end. Got it all back together and put in the frame the carburettors on and hooked up but I'm pretty dang sure they aren't balanced... at all... one side is practically FLOWING gas out of the air intake and the other side looks totally dry... I guess I'm just asking if anyone could tell me if that could be the only reason my bike is still not running and how to balance them without the bike running.

Could be 2 reason for the carb overflow.
1); Float set to high and won't shut of the float valve
2); Float valve has dirt on the seat and wont seal

Back