My first bike build - 1980 Special II

69mach351

Resident Newbie
Reaction score
Well, this is my first bike build and I thought I would start a thread so I could get suggestions, help, etc.

I got the bike Monday March 17th. It ran like a champ and for its age, looked decent. Being the way that it sits, it is not really my style of bike. As much as I love them, I am a big guy and would look like a bear on a moped riding it. I purchased it because I think I got a good deal, it is a relatively simple bike, and it has a strong online/aftermarket support.

Vt6uGTZ.jpg

I spent no time ripping into her, and here is how she sits a week later;

lS0SRxR.jpg

What I have done so far (aside from cut it up)

Wheels and Tires: I have ordered new tires (Shinto 712) and have cleaned up the factory wheels. I am on the fence about painting them. I may just wait until I need to do bearings on them. That way I can just worry about how everything fits up at the moment. They don't look bad, but the spokes aren't real shiny.

Handlebars: I ordered drag bars, retro grips with a retro throttle control, and master cyl. I am going to clean up, paint, and re-use the factory clutch lever for the time being (I accidentally ordered a hydraulic clutch).

Wiring: All wiring was cut out. I started by pulling the wiring very carefully, labeling everything, but the more I got into it, the more I realized that it wasn't going to matter a whole lot. Some factory and some non-factory connectors literally fell apart in my hands, wires were spliced two and three times, and I am not going to be running turn signals, or anything else that I can avoid. I also picked up a fuse block and volt meter. I have a feeling that I am going to be replacing a lot here.

Frame/Body: My TC Bros hardtail will be here tomorrow (3/25) and have ordered a sportster king tank. I am completely undecided about what to do with paint. I am considering doing a "dirty chop" for now, then tearing it down and cleaning it up next winter. The other considerations are all black and do white and red pinstripes, or do a hammered style paint or powdercoat.

More will follow and I will need quite a bit of help, so I look forward to everyone's opinion and advice!

Back