My first build. Getting ready to wire for the first time

Brew

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just got my bike all ready to wire.........I think. Not really sure where to begin with the wiring so i'm here for your help. When I took it all apart it was running and there was a buttload of wires to remove. On this bike there will be a brake/running light, headlight, electric start and battery and pamco ignition.

Attachments

• 5256033057_c6db6df828.jpg
    5256033057_c6db6df828.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 5256032453_376f1e9d79.jpg
    5256032453_376f1e9d79.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 299
Your bike looks good low, short, and fun. As far as wiring search the forum you will find plenty of wiring to make it work. I wired mine form scratch without a problem until my tci box went up. And wiring a minimum wiring harness is just that much easier.

That is a nice ride....wiring is pretty easy really. Like as been mentioned, get a wiring diagram and go for it. Hiding everything is the hard part!!!

Here, I'll save you the trouble. Depends on if you have seperate rectifier/regulator. Use what you need and forget the rest. Remember to solder and heat shrink everything. I like your bike. Nice attitude.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 226
  • xs650-1.jpg
    xs650-1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 178
Wow, you guys make wiring sound simple. I hope Brew takes us through the process with lots of pics. I would like a little more detail. Like what size wire to use! By the way, on those two wiring diagrams above what is the little rectangular shaped do-dad that has no name on it that sits between the alternator and rectifier?
jefft

Thanks I'm pretty stoked on the way its turned out so far. The tank is Detroit bros.

It is simple. Those drawings that Tech7 posted will get you there. Without turn signals, there's not much wiring.

Think of it as three separate systems-charging, ignition, and lights/accessories. Look at the diagram and separate them out in your head, it will help you understand it better. People want to jumble it all together. Once you have a clear picture, you do it one wire and system at a time, keeping it neat as you go. and its easy enough to change or redo a bit as you go.

John

Heres the wiring diagram im hoping to use.

1979 XS engine
1981 regulator/rectifier combo (alternator brushes isolated with nylon screws)
Pamco ignition
Battery
Electric start
Keyed switch, off/on/start
Headlight Hi/Lo
Taillight/Brake (was going to make an led brake, hence the resistor)
12v Power Outlet for charging

Attachments

• wiring6.jpg
    wiring6.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 163
What ever diagram you use the most important part to get right is the charging system. With out the charging syatem right to rest is just a waste of time. No charge= no run.

Nice looking bike...Arent those forks going to bottom out? Also, what tires are those are they tubeless?

not sure if they will bottom out or not. Gonna have about 2" of travel after the spacers go in. Tires are from Cocker, Firestone replicas and they have tubes.

Back