My First Creation

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
As promised here are the engine mounts I’ve had made.

2D8D7EA1-4004-422A-901A-F2BE9A86D188.jpeg

BA78C814-74B9-4A33-9FAF-4CE0874636DD.jpeg

The brackets still need welding where they meet the tubing, I’m not particularly impressed with the quality of the laser cut brackets themselves so I’m aware there will be a little bit of hand finishing required before any coatings can be applied.

5349EB9D-9869-4266-8D01-A5A288FC2089.jpeg

Any feedback/criticism is much welcomed as these are the very first things I’ve ever designed and had made.

Cheers for looking!

Daniel.

They look very nice, a little concern with the small amount of material around the tubes, maybe a little smaller diameter tubes will allow a little more on the bracket around the tubes, but a great design non the less.

They look very nice, a little concern with the small amount of material around the tubes, maybe a little smaller diameter tubes will allow a little more on the bracket around the tubes, but a great design non the less.

I do share your concerns in regards to lack of material around the tubes but I’m gambling that 8mm thick brackets and the addition of weld on both sides of the bracket for the full 360• of bracket will make them more than strong enough, am I wrong?

Many thanks for the feedback Kevski!

I am not sure if you are wrong i guess it's dependent on material grade, a full 360 degree weld should increase the integrity of it and regular inspections will be needed and if they hold out maybe people will want some, after all they look a lot better than the OEM brackets.

I am not sure if you are wrong i guess it's dependent on material grade, a full 360 degree weld should increase the integrity of it and regular inspections will be needed and if they hold out maybe people will want some, after all they look a lot better than the OEM brackets.

I appreciate your assessment Kevski!

Do you fancy being a test pilot?

Cool. Fit after it's welded up might be a trick.
Are the cross tubes through drilled or tapped dead holes on each end?
If solid perhaps machine a slightly reduced diameter in the centers?

Yes the stock mount is BFU. This should be a nice visual improvement.

I'm not a metal guru as to the pros and cons previously mentioned.... but they're kick azz cool. If I was go'n with custom or cafe' I'd be PM'n ya.

Cool. Fit after it's welded up might be a trick.
Are the cross tubes through drilled or tapped dead holes on each end?
If solid perhaps machine a slightly reduced diameter in the centers?

Yes the stock mount is BFU. This should be a nice visual improvement.

Thanks Gary!

The cross tubes are 24.0 od (to marry up with the frames mounting lugs) 121.0 length. They’re tapped for a M10 bolt or a depth of 55.0 from each end.

Back