Polishing New Hubs

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Amidst all the chaos these arrived today!
51ECBDE6-B0AB-42B0-9836-250ED7351B0B.jpeg

747E0F64-352C-4859-BFAC-ED2611C612D8.jpeg

By now it must be obvious that I’ve been bitten by the polishing bug and I’m compelled to try to make these look even prettier.

I’m aware that once built there will be certain areas I won’t be able to reach to maintain the look of the hubs, what’s everyone’s thoughts on spraying a clear coat afterward polishing to ‘seal’ the surface? Matte or Gloss?

Any feedback’s welcome!

Daniel.

Attachments

• 771254F0-E0BF-4F2A-9D16-5996E3A66FEE.jpeg
    771254F0-E0BF-4F2A-9D16-5996E3A66FEE.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 77
Yes, I'd say you're going to need to put something on them, at least on the inner sides of the spoke flanges. You won't be able to clean and maintain those areas once the spokes are in. As far as polishing goes, I think they look fine already, lol. If I had done polishing to get them to that point, I'd consider myself done.

Not sure how you could check for it but maybe they're clear coated already?

Yes, I'd say you're going to need to put something on them, at least on the inner sides of the spoke flanges. You won't be able to clean and maintain those areas once the spokes are in. As far as polishing goes, I think they look fine already, lol. If I had done polishing to get them to that point, I'd consider myself done.

Not sure how you could check for it but maybe they're clear coated already?

Thanks for the reply 5twins!

Maybe you can’t make them out in the photo but there are ‘tooling’ marks (is that the right term???) I’ll take a close-up tomorrow if that helps?

I’d like to try and smooth these out.

They’re not powder coated. Bare Aluminium.

Daniel.

Bewarethemoon,

Where did you get those? Vendor? Part number?

Based on quick eyeball non-measurements, I've thought stock or aftermarket hubs for a Suzuki DR650 or Honda XR650L hubs might be a fairly easy fit on an XS.

Bewarethemoon,

Where did you get those? Vendor? Part number?

Based on quick eyeball non-measurements, I've thought stock or aftermarket hubs for a Suzuki DR650 or Honda XR650L hubs might be a fairly easy fit on an XS.

They’re from Cognito Moto, loosely based on GSXR hubs I believe.

The front is for 1999-2001 YZF-R6 forks and uses it’s brake callipers, axle, bearings and all spacers.

The rear uses the XS’s axle, bearings and all spacers.

Daniel.

Wow! Those really are beautiful! I also really like the look as they are now. I like that freshly machined billet look. Be careful regarding what product you use if you clear coat. Maybe some of the guys can steer you to one that works well. I sprayed Duplicolor rattle can clear on my motor and it is yellowing ( maybe because of heat? ) It looked perfect when first applied.

Here’s a couple close-ups

1859A791-DD5A-4470-B707-40E94A92EEB6.jpeg

0161798A-B6AD-4B79-9FEC-88876CBAD75A.jpeg

I agree with 5twins & Mailman, these hubs do look pretty! The ‘tooling marks’ leftover from the CNC machine (is that what I’m seeing?) will I be “pissing in the wind” trying to flatten these out? Should I just give them a light polishing instead? Or leave them alone entirely? Maybe I’m overthinking this

I like Jim’s suggestion of clear powder-coating them no matter what I decide to do?

Unsure how best to proceed here so all input is welcome!

Daniel.

I also ordered nipples & spokes from Buchanan’s through Cognito Moto.

I ordered the nipples in bare carbon so I could have them yellow zinc plated. Packing them up and sending them out in the next couple days

2B380236-8DA1-4837-BB7D-189E966D1EB7.jpeg

90B61811-043F-4E6E-9A10-6845D26D79C4.jpeg

The spokes are stainless and I will more than likely polish these
3059E29F-C599-473B-97A5-8CB127020897.jpeg

I had my tank Cerakoted and am very happy with the results. Fuel does not affect it. It's a clear ceramic coating. There are no solvents that will dissolve it. Google it, it's pretty impressive stuff.
The guy that does my powder coating did it for me. I plan on having other parts done in the future.

I had my tank Cerakoted and am very happy with the results. Fuel does not affect it. It's a clear ceramic coating. There are no solvents that will dissolve it. Google it, it's pretty impressive stuff.
The guy that does my powder coating did it for me. I plan on having other parts done in the future.

Whilst exchanging emails with a professional polisher he mentioned Cerakote in particular this variant https://www.cerakote.co.uk/shop/performance-clears/clear-aluminium-mc-5100/

Strongly considering it!

Promo video obviously but interesting none the less

Back