My first hardtail build!

Build looks awesome, very similar to mine. Ill make a build thread when im 100% done.

Got a bunch of little things done: old rectangular tail light, older ebay headlight with a handy dandy hole in it for my voltmeter, picked up one of gordonscotts excellent front fork braces.

Finally got my new pipes mocked up, both on the right side, one below and one above the engine case, some upsweep at the end.

pipes2.jpg

headlight.jpg

tail.jpg

Onto the wiring, and then hopefully I'll be in the wind!!!

Last edited:
xs650_3.jpg

I'm (finally!) basically done, need to clean up some cable routing and wiring. But she has survived my first few shakedown rides around town.

What a great feeling to be riding around on something you built! Still feeling the bike out, haven't taken it above 40mph yet!

Took me a while to sort the wiring (my first time doing it) but really glad I did, I know it inside and out now.

Using the stock mufflers ( I love how they sound), redid the rest of the pipes.

No paint yet, gonna keep the raw steel look for a while.

Pamco and PMA swap, TC Bros hardtail, MikesXS PWK carbs (still need a little tuning).

Already got asked about it, guy thought it was a Harley!?!

My first build, couldn't have done it without the folks on this board!

-Aaron

xs650_1.jpg

xs650_2.jpg

Cros,

I can still access the dipstick behind the pipe, was trying to keep that in mind when I was figuring out how to route them. BUT they do get pretty hot next to my right leg!

my bobber has used a modified Yamaha shift lever connected to my forward controls. I want to use a Harley set I have that positions the rod under instead of above like with my current set up. where do you get the shift lever from in order to do this?

Try re-positioning the shift lever on the splined shaft. Otherwise you will most likely need to make one. Pictures would help clarify your issue.

Back