My first XS build

Jrluz14

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is, picked up the '78 and '76 basket case yesterday along with a plethora of extra parts that I won't be using. I'm psyched about this build and can't wait to start working. Gonna pull the '78 motor, throw it on a stand, replace all the gaskets, possibly do a 750 kit, powdercoat various parts, polish the cases, install a new clutch, and probably a lot more. Then once that's complete I'll start on the frame. I have some HD wheels with front disc and read drum that I'll have to adapt to the bike.
hysu3upe.jpg

Finally gonna start cracking into this. I'm starting with the engine. I know I want to do the 750 kit from MikesXS. Pamco ignition and PMA from Hugh. I don't have much experience with engine internals so I'll be purchasing the manual from "Yamapubs" since I've heard that was the best one to use. Now, what should I do as far as carbs? Vectrons peak my interest but are pricey. What would you guys suggest as far as carbs go? I don't have to stock carbs so I do need a complete setup.

If you're selling any parts ...let me know. I need engine parts....pistons, cylinder, head....basically whole top end. ...also carbs....thanks and good luck. Joe

Ordered the PMA/Pamco kit from mike's today. Time to get the ball rolling.

Also, planning on running an HD XL front end, I like the narrow look plus I already have an HD front wheel to run with it. But first I want to get the motor complete and painted with carbs.

Picked up a 21" polished front and 18" polished rear thanks to BarnYardCustoms. Now I need some rubbers to wrap them in (probably Avon speed masters). Gonna be running the 35mm front end off my '78 XS. I'll shave the lowers minus the front caliper mount which I will need and will also be shaving the shenanigans off the top tree as well. Also getting the speedo delete spacers for the front and spacers for the rear (all billet) from BarnYardCustoms as well. He's a great guy to deal with.

Bought new fork seals, Hugh's 2" lowering spacers, neck bearings, Brembo gold caliper and mounting kit all from Pandemonium cycles. Time to pull the forks apart and shave/polish them in the lathe.

Good luck, sounds like you're collecting some good stuff. I've seen your Savage on here and on CL and dig it so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the XS.

Also, I saw you're looking for a Frisco Tank, in case nobody has one for ya, here is a place in Worcester I got a cheap brandy new Sporty tank for a bike I did a while back.

http://www.sampowersports1.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=865

Thanks for the info. Glad you dig the Savage. That was a quick short chop, only put 5 weeks into that one. That bike also made it into the "Back Talk" section of January's issue of "The Horse" magazine, pretty neat seeing it in there. This bike is a lot more intense as far as a custom build goes. Also about 3x as expensive since I'm not cutting any corners. Should come out amazing. I've got a ton of money just into brass bar stock for parts I'll be machining for it. Josh from Old School Helmets out in California will be spraying my tins a heavy metal flake with old school scalloping and everything else will be professionally powder coated/painted, no rattle can on this build.

Sounds likes it's going to be sweet, do you ever do parts for other people? I have a few things left I need made for my current build and it's always cool go local.

Thats a good start! Good to see some others on the East Coast...

If you need any parts custom or otherwise hit me up! Got tons of crap laying around...

Sounds likes it's going to be sweet, do you ever do parts for other people? I have a few things left I need made for my current build and it's always cool go local.

I don't own a machine shop, my company allows me to use their machines after hours but yes I do machine things for others often. Let me know what you need and we can work something out, I enjoy making parts for other's builds.

Shaved the lower fork tubes in the lathe, what a bitch. These things are not round AT ALL to begin with. Also got the top tree shaved, currently machining a one piece brass top bar clamp, should look good. Will post pics when it's done.

Shit I bought:
-Pamdemonium FriSTR tank (frisco peanut tank).
-TC Bros electronics box (fake oil tank)
-TC Bros drum brake rod
-Brembo gold front caliper
-MikesXS front master
-21" and 18" polished wheels
-Bates style ribbed ducktail fender
-Jumpstreet Customs mid controls
-Zombie performance 12" zombie apes
-5 1/2" black/brass headlight
-Avon speedmaster front tire, Coker Firestone rep rear

Shit I bought:
-Pamdemonium FriSTR tank (frisco peanut tank).
-TC Bros electronics box (fake oil tank)
-TC Bros drum brake rod
-Brembo gold front caliper
-MikesXS front master
-21" and 18" polished wheels
-Bates style ribbed ducktail fender
-Jumpstreet Customs mid controls
-Zombie performance 12" zombie apes
-5 1/2" black/brass headlight
-Avon speedmaster front tire, Coker Firestone rep rear

None of that's gonna work for you! :D
You should just send it to me and I'll take it off your hands! :thumbsup:
Sound good? :laugh:

Looking forward to seeing it all on the bike! :thumbsup:

Just spent more money on a floating front rotor form MikesXS as well as a 17/32 sprocket set and chain. It never ends, help me. Haha

Back