My first xs650 build.

RMS621

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys just figured I would start my build thread. I bought the bike a week ago from a parts and salvage shop in NE. Picked up the bike for $500 with no wheels and forks. Came with clean title and all. Its a 1976 XS650c

I picked up a set of CBR F2 rims I will be putting on it. Along with a set of 03 GSXR 1000 inverted forks.

Made a road trip out to TC Bros Choppers in Wauseon, OH. HUGE thumbs up to all the guys out there! BIG THANKS to Tyler for the tour of the shop and letting me take a look around. While I was out there I picked up my hardtail section, froward controls, linkage, gasket kit, and fender mounts.

Here is how the bike was sitting when I bought it.
IMAG0135.jpg

Last edited:
The bike came with a box of parts as well. It also came with the gas tank, seat, and luggage rack.

After getting the bike home and looking over the bike. It is missing the coils and a few other small parts. But I plan on redoing the ignition system and wiring.
After an hour of playing with the bike. The swing arm kicked my ass on getting it out.
IMAG0160.jpg

Finely got the bike down to the frame.
IMAG0161.jpg

I took the frame down to my buddies shop to have the hardtail welded on.
cutting the back half off.
IMAG0162.jpg

welding the new on
IMAG0163.jpg

all together. still need to clean the frame up and grind off some tabs.
IMAG0164.jpg

Started to put the bike back together so I can mock up some parts and then to get some measurements for the rear wheel and hub. I am going to have to mill the hub/wheel down to fit to the chain.

I found this on another forum and I am pumped for the finding this post since its the same rim I have, Knowing I will be able to fit the rear rim.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?94866-CBR600-F3-mag-wheel-swap....

Here are some pics of the hardtail before it was welded up with the rear rim in place to see if it would fit.
IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

welded up and back to a roller
IMAG0167.jpg

WOW you made quick of that !!! It has taken me a month to get that far !!!

Welcome !

Have fun with the tabs took me better 1/2 of a day to gring off all the tabs and smooth every thing out. Mine was just dropped off at the welders today for the welding portion, I will pick it up after my vacation next week.

LOL yea I bought the bike on Feb 28th, picked up the hardtail and parts on March 1st and welded up the frame on Sat. I want to be able to ride come spring.

I am going to rebuild the motor, Hoping the the internals are all in good condition. Since the bike has been sitting for 29 years. The motor is free and had oil in it. The rebuild may take the longest out of the build.

Here are some pics after getting the motor back in and up on my stand. Just lining everything up.

IMAG0170.jpg

The rear tire is a 170 it leave me with 1" between the tire and frame on the right side(looking at it from the back. and about 1 1/8" on the left,

Leave enough room for the chain. just cuts it really close to the frame and tire. After doing some measurements I will be milling about 1" off of the hub and wheel total.

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

daily update, Just ordered new bearings for my GSXR forks to be able to fit the xs650's steam tube. should be here later this week.
hears the link if anyone is needing help on doing front end swaps and you need the right bearings. http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconvertion

Trying to fig out what gas tank I want to run, along with either running clip on bars or drag bars.

Going to start going over the wiring here soon. I am thinking about getting Hugh's HandBuilt PMA swap. I want to hide all wiring on the bike. I plan on running it all through the frame, and down into a battery box. The only wires that will be exposed will be the spark plug wires.

Still haven't made up my mind if I want to run a jockey shift or not.

How is it cheaper???
All the used engines I have found are around $500. I already have the gasket kit. I was just going to get new piston rings and hone it out.

It might be cheaper, maybe, but after replacing the right parts and not skimping on others, it'll be close, very close. And, don't forget about surprise encounters.

seals, cam chain with new guide, rings, pins, maybe a bearing or two or more, gaskets, washers, maybe even a set of worn out rods if you're lucky, bolts to replace ruined ones...it all adds up, as I'm sure you know. Don't forget about a few specialty tools that are needed, as I'm sure you know, as well. And Carb rebuild, that can get costly/frustrating pretty fast.

I started my project with the idea of a simple budget refresh and it soon snowballed into a damn near new engine. Excluding performance parts, I'm sure I spent $500 on parts and a few minimal sub'd-out labor costs, give or take $100. I would add up all my receipts but I'd rather not.

Don't get me wrong, I do not regret rebuilding the engine myself. It has been a fun (frustrating at times) learning experience but it has not been cheap.

Again, not trying to preach as you clearly know your way around the bike. I'm pretty confident in my wrenching skills but was way off with my cost estimate. That, or I chose to avoid the reality (expense) involved in splitting the cases.

keep us updated. It looks like a cool build.

avenue.

Looks awesome man! Definitely my style of build.

Speaking from experience you'll need to cut down the caliper mounts about 1/8" to match the rotor size on the front end.

Nice to see someone else rocking the sportbike/chop look.

Oh and by the way: Clip-ons, Yes to the PMA, and no to the jockey shift. It ruins the enjoyment of riding. I know that's a personal opinion, but on a quick little runner like you're building it's best to keep both hands on the bars.

Looks awesome man! Definitely my style of build.

Speaking from experience you'll need to cut down the caliper mounts about 1/8" to match the rotor size on the front end.

Nice to see someone else rocking the sportbike/chop look.

Oh and by the way: Clip-ons, Yes to the PMA, and no to the jockey shift. It ruins the enjoyment of riding. I know that's a personal opinion, but on a quick little runner like you're building it's best to keep both hands on the bars.

Yeah I'm thinking of scrapping the jockey shift and just going with a normal setup, but will be switching it up to a hydraulic clutch.

Just bought a vfr800 hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. As well as a cbr1000 rear brake master cyl. Ill post up a parts list of what I still need. When i get home ill write up a better post. I'm doing this from my phone.

Update:
Just got my new steam bearings in the mail today. Then picked up a new set of front wheel bearings. That will fit the CBR wheels and the GSXR axle..

picked up a few items of eBay last night.
CBR1000rr REAR BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER
gsxr1000 upper fork clamp with an ignition
CBR600F4 REAR SPROCKET & HUB
VFR800 Clutch Slave Cylinder

Parts I'm still in need of

PMA swap
Gas tank
Front brake calibers
Clip ons
New chain
battery box (looking at building one out of an ammunition box)
Head light
Tail light
build a wiring harness.

Back