my first xs650... Electric questions??

BajaKiter

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I picked up a 1979 Special II with 22000 miles but running good. Ive been dying to build a cool thumper and this thing was a bargain at $500...
Well I got in two good rides before she died... She just sputtered to a halt...no spark.
and that was two years ago (sadface)
So I've pulled the old girl out of the shed and started the makeover. Ive done some cosmetics trying my luck with the angle grinder and the paint sprayer... all good so far!
But I need to address the electric. So 1st things 1st, do I have points or electronic Ignition?
I open the side covers to check and there is nothing there! no points no pemco no nothing! I can see through the hole to the other side.
Whats the dealio?

Someone somewhere along the way or it is an '80 and the ignition is on the alternater (the pick ups) and under the battery carrier. The "brains" of the ignition. It's in a plastic case bolted to the underside of the battery carrier. It's called the TCI. Transister Controlled Ignition.

Hopefully the electronics still work. If not......well lets just say there are options besides stock parts....

Whats the bet the manufacturing date is late 79..................There is a full thread devoted to the ID'ing of these bikes with good pics of the different models., also there is an ID chart Look it up and then get back.

No a CDI is not a TCI........big difference

She's running! Happy father's day to me
I put new plugs and cleaned the wiring and wrooom! She's a smoker, but no worries, Im in Washington state so its legal.
I'm pretty stoked. Now to change the oil and filter.. then throw on her original that plate expired in '96, and take her for a spin!
Pictures to come
Thx for the tdi-cdi knowledge.. all good. No havin' to fill any capacitors= less work for the ol girl? hahaha

across the mighty Columbia from hood river...
Near Portland

Attachments

• webcam.jpg
    webcam.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 131
Back