My Home Made Throttle Lock

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys, after researching the internet and youtube, I decided to forego the $35 throttle lock from the local bike shops and built my own from spare items I had laying around. Basically, I twisted some wire around my grip to the right tension and covered it with some spare vacuum hose. The black hose makes it less noticable and it protects the brake lever from being scratched up from the wire. I tested it and it works perfectly fine. I wanted something that I can set so I can relieve my hand a bit every now and then. :thumbsup:

Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

• 2011-07-24_11-45-21_68 (800x451).jpg
    2011-07-24_11-45-21_68 (800x451).jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 2011-07-24_11-46-35_409 (800x451).jpg
    2011-07-24_11-46-35_409 (800x451).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 481
So you twist the throttle to the right place then push the hose forward with your finger? Then just close the throttle and it resets?

A lot of my Raider buddies use what they call the caterpillar cruise. Just get the appropriate size o-ring (about 6cents) and It'll hold your throttle in place where ever you put it. To release you either flip it up on your switch box with your thumb or simply mover the throttle back to where you want it. Sure beats the cash I spent on the brakaway throttle. I love the brakaway but its hella expensive.

It takes a little while, but releasing the 'deathgrip' on the throttle lever certainly help's with the cramping of the hand. When on a long trip (100 or more mile's) I have a thing called a Wrist Rest, that slips over your throttle control, and lets you use more of your palm, instead of having to grip the handle. And it allow's the throttle to close on it's own, like it should. Less than $10, on e-gay.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm surprised how well it works. The wire is around the rubber grip with enough tension to hold the grip in place when I press it against the lever with my thumb yet I can easily throttle down when I'm ready or if I'm in a pinch and need grab the throttle pretty quick.

I saw the palm rest when I was in the bike shop for $10. I figured I'd try this first since it's not costing me anything.

Travis, youtube "throttle lock" and watch a couple of the posts. There are guys who use thicker zip ties but I figured my wire/hose version would be a little sturdier.

So yep.. works as I suspected. Not a fan of how it looks but for long trips I'm might consider it.

Hey, if it work's for, thats great! I, too, was going to go with one of those throttle lock's, that used to be less than $10. But like you said,$30 is way too much. I can't really use one anyway because my grip's are metal, just won't work.

I use the finned grips from MikesXS as they allow me to simply lay my hand on the grip and feel good in my hands. They're cheap, ugly and will only last about a year but I like them anyway.

But if I had a round grip I'd be dragging out the wire and hose to make myself a homemade throttle grip. Good idea.

Try it for a while. It cheap enough that you can always cut the wire off and put one back on for long trips.

Back