my old lady only reach 4500rpm...... :-(

bnimmrichter

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

greeting from Germany! And please excuse my poor english.

My old lady (1980 XS650 Special II, imported from USA long ago) does not run well. She starts perfectly by kickstarting, the engine runs perfectly while the cycle is standing, and she runs perfectly with normal power untill approx. 4500rtm. Then finish, no more. From one day to the next.
I checked:
the carburator several times. No water, no trash, everything clear and proper, jet, needle, valve, fuel level - all checked. I installed new diaphragm.
the ignition: new spark plugs, new ignition coil, the color of the spark plugs are normal.
The compression is OK.

Still the original full electronic ignition system. May this is not working well? But how to check? And the hard job is now, that Yamaha sold the XS650 with electronic ignition only in USA, not in Germany or Europa. So I have no chance to find support here in Germany.

Does anyone of you had the same phenomenon?

Please - I kindly ask for support.

Best regards
Bernhard

Only going so fast and not above a certain RPM can also be a sign of holes in the carb diaphragms. Do the slide drop test.

Welcome........

This thread has about all the TCI info that is on here........there are links in the thread..........There is a company that sells a replacement unit for the Factory TCI that i can't find right now........will do some more searching and post it..
http://www.xs650.com/threads/hesitation-1980-with-tci.55273/#post-602457

I'm pretty sure the Euro, US custom, (European Specials), had factory TCI's.........Brochures i have are mainly for Holland but one written in English.
5E6 81SP Holland.jpg fol4G7_2a.jpg SEad_zps85e8812b.jpg Jurgen1.jpg YAMAHA XS-650-US-CUSTOM-2.jpg

Back