my rotten mungrel ,,,,still will not start....dam!!!!!

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys,,, well this morning i removed the tank ... and pods /points cover due to the age a dirty wires over years i cut the outside covering on the points wires to see what the colours are ... they were orange /grey... and if they are connected correctly.. on the points wire ,,,the orange wire is on the left point,,, lower point and is connected to the orange wire on the coil,,, they are mikesxs green coils ... standard replacement coils for 1976 xs650,,, and the other wire goes to the right side coil,,, i kicked it over ,,and sprayed some rp7 in the carbys, it coughed once ... should i use some aero start in the spray can ,,, or am i over-acting, i did want to at least fire it up on points before i remove everything and install my pamco 14-0901... ..... your advice would be great regards oldbiker

If it helps we have all been here. I had problems even with a Boyer ignition due to a bad battery, even though it seemed to crank fine and I was using a charger :-(

I'm with the others throw in the Pamco...

thanks pete,,, i really do know you are correct........ .. .. , i,ll give it a go .. it might help if a had a bottle of jack near by... regards oldbiker ,,,again thanks ...

oldbiker,

Screwing with points = 2 bottles of Jack or a six pack of beer......:banghead:
Installing a PAMCO = 1/2 bottle of jack or 2 beers....:thumbsup:
Gettin her going? Priceless...:bike:

gotta agree with pete on this one... I don't even keep old points around anymore, they immediately go in the trash. I won't give them to an enemy.... Pamco is the ticket!

pete clearly i,ve missed something i should keep a bottle of jack in my garage even when working on my mowers,,,, Q,, i purchased 14-0901 ,,which has the coil and plug leads all in 1 ,,,, as well i purchased from home depot 2 clamps ,, ,,does the coil from this kit fit in the same position under the tank on a 1976 xs650 as shown on the site? regards oldbiker

hi guys my xs650 is a 1976 ... Q, do i remove the existing coils? and instal my dual coil that came in the pamco kit 14-0901,and clamps from home depot each side of the brackets that held the origional coils,,, thats what it looks like to me ,,if i,m wrong please set me on the correct track ,,,i also found the flasher can may interfer? .. regards oldbiker

Last edited:
I've actually nicknamed my bike "Old No 76", it's a 1976 xs 650 that works better with me when I have a little Jack in the shop :)

hi guys my xs650 is a 1976 ... Q, do i remove the existing coils? and instal my dual coil that came in the pamco kit 14-0901,and clamps from home depot each side of the brackets that held the origional coils,,, thats what it looks like to me ,,if i,m wrong please set me on the correct track ,,,i also found the flasher can may interfer? .. regards oldbiker

thats how i did my 78, remove old coils, relocate flasher. its a tight fit pointed the wires out the front.

thanks for that info,,,,it looks like the double coil in 14-0901,, actually comes with 2 long hex set srews , with tube spacers and there,s about 15-17mm of thread sticking out ,,i tried 1 in my clamps i got from home depot..,,with the flasher i could probably secure it with a couple of plastic tires thanks for helping me regards oldbiker

Back