Mystery camshaft

Alberta Dave

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I apparently purchased 277 rephased engine witch I have a hard time to get running.
Put in a 277 pandemonium ignition and it looks like the pistons moving up and down in 277 degree.
Anyhow. I can't get her running.
I took a closer look at the cam and found these number stamped into it 250x71-36-BR and below 01 - 08. I thought it might be megacycle cam but there is not a single number in there catalog that is matching what I found on the cam and it seams like the internet doesn't heard of it either.
Anybody an idea? THX

Well the numbers are different. I just need to know what my timing settings are in order to get her going. I guess that's why the bike won't start because its out of timing. compression is great, new full strong battery, spark plugs are sett... just don't know nothing about this cam.

As it starts with 250 I would say it was metacycle, should be easy enough to tell which by calculating the lift

@WideAWAKE
Have you ever tried (although usually they are very supportive and nice if asked politely for info once one gets them on the phone)? Hehehe.

Thinking out loud here Dont know anything about rephasing .
Having said that it is a complicated rebuild .So I would be surprised if the builder did not install something that wont run..
Should it not run on one cylinder .If you moved the ignition ?

Thinking out loud here Dont know anything about rephasing .
Having said that it is a complicated rebuild .So I would be surprised if the builder did not install something that wont run..
Should it not run on one cylinder .If you moved the ignition ?
That's kinda what my thoughts are but even if buddy before me fucked things up its not a big deal for me to fix it but i need to know what I'm working with to establish a working base line. Its nearly impossible to get anyone picking the phone up at megacycle. The numbers on the cam do not show up on there mickey mouse BS wannabe web site. Don't know how those guys are operating but good customer service is different.

I love a good mystery........

As the p/n begins with "250", one could assume it may be a Megacycle 277* product and determine the lift and lobe centers, then set the timing (they typically spec at .040" lift) on the left cylinder at the appropriate degree. Could be one of their 277* cams at stock profiles too (therefore using stock timing).

860_MEGACYCLE_XS650_CAM_PROFILES.jpeg

I love a good mystery........

As the p/n begins with "250", one could assume it may be a Megacycle 277* product and determine the lift and lobe centers, then set the timing (they typically spec at .040" lift) on the left cylinder at the appropriate degree. Could be one of their 277* cams at stock profiles too (therefore using stock timing).

View attachment 232760

There is more then one way to skin a cat. I would just like to see something written about this particular cam. If I can get any timing information that’s nice too. But what is it’s purpose? Street? Race? Time travel?

@Alberta Dave
Try it again preferably around 10-12h.
If they respond ask if they could let you speak with Mrs. Barbara (that would be the wife of the owner Jim Dour) and she knows afaik all their profiles pretty much by heart.
Personally I would just mount a degree disc and a dial gauge and measure intake open intake close at 0.040"/1mm.
That surely will get you the most confident numbers and an idea how to degree the cam.

Kind regards Christian

Ps: of course one can criticize the rather old school catalogue of theirs in which not even all their profiles are listed, but considering that it still is pretty much a semi small family business and that they do the motorcycle cams mostly as hobby besides their large volume work and high dollar real race cams for famous international players one has to give them their due respect that they still develop new profiles.

Last edited:
Back