Nailing down electrical short

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok,
I have a very simple electrical setup currently. I am ONLY running the ignition. That means, no lights, electric starter, charger, etc.

When I kick the bike over I get a spark, no problem. However, there is a short somewhere because with the bike just sitting there 69 mA are leaving the positive battery terminal. Any ideas on where to check? I can't find it anywhere.

Adam

Disconnect the negative cable, then attach a test light to the disconnected cable and the negative terminal on the battery. You should see the light come on. Start disconnecting and reconnecting wires until you see the light go out. If the short is to small you won't see the light come on.

Ok. I narrowed down the location of the short.

When I unplug the coil there is no change.

HOWEVER, when I unplug the CDI (black box) the short dissappears. Does this mean the problem is in my TCI box? I was under the impression that they generally do not have problems. What could be causing this short? I am using a TCBros chopper harness, btw.

Adam

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the cdi boxis the issue or if it should be connected after the ignition switch. Is there a chane it's just wired in the wrong spot?

Everything should be downstream of the key, so when the key's off nothing is connected. 59ma sounds like it could be right for the tci just sitting there powered up. It's good to have two tci to check each other against. Here's yet another reason for it.

Are you saying 69ma with the switch on? That's normal, don't go looking for a problem you don't have. LOL
69 ma = .0069 amp that is normal solid state current bleed. (I stayed in an air conditioned house last night but am no electronics guy.)

Ok. Thanks guys. It seems like I don't have a problem.

Also, not to be nitpicky but 69 mA = 0.069 A, not 0.0069 A.

Thanks again,
Adam

What problem? .0069 amps of load from the TCI is normal. (less than 1/100th of 1 amp)
A factory battery is about 14 amp hours so it would run that load for 14/.0069 or 2000 hours before it drained the battery dead.

Yes the ignition switch must be between the TCI and the battery.
Many solid state components are on off switches but off is never 100% off there is always a LITTLE current bleed.

Thanks for the confirmatino. But just to be thorough:
69 mA = 0.069 A (not 0.0069 A) so actually it would drain a 14 AH battery in approximately 200 hours which is about a week and a half.

Adam

Thanks for the confirmatino. But just to be thorough:
69 mA = 0.069 A (not 0.0069 A) so actually it would drain a 14 AH battery in approximately 200 hours which is about a week and a half.

Adam

you are so right a thousand is three decimal places not four Duh oh!
So; you planning on leaving your bike on, not running for a week or more?
The running ignition drain will be considerably more.
For reference a points bike will have a lot more static drain because at least one coil is normally connected through the points to ground. At least until the coil burns out!

Back