NAV BLUES TO NAV USE

Adamc

XS650 MEDDLER
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I love to plan trips or ride out days using good old fashioned Ordenance Survey (OS) maps of interesting areas. Mostly this comes from my mountian biking days when Sat Nav did not exist. The OS maps give superb details including 'areas of outstandin natural beauty', Contours etc. They also include RUPS and BOATS which are little used by-ways and trails.
Sat Nav units became normal when I was a travelling representitive and mostly Garmin products were the device of chioce. These days even small vehicles have factory installed units. Most of these however just find the quickest / shortets route from A to B; leaving out any points of interest.

Whilst watching Harry Metcalf (Harry's Garage) on You Tube he demonstrated a very different 'App' called 'CALIMOTO'. This service actually offers the user to select A to B or 'circular routes' and the unit automatically finds a profusion of turns and bends; and includes points of interest along the route. Its specifically intended for bikers, but still useful for enthusiastic drivers too. I have downloaded it and input a few routes, and its bloody brilliant.

More here and below: https://calimoto.com/en

Last edited:
HILLARIOUS NAVIGATION PREPARATION (Not!).

Following on from my NAV thread I came across a Guy with a Harley Davidson Roadking on You-Tube.
He's touring through very remote parts of Wales, without a map; relying solely on his phone maps, in a vast area with no mobile coverage!
He ends up taking his Roadking down some torturous 'lanes' that Itchy Boots would think twice about on a CRF Honda!
Hats off to him for perserverance; but it is funny when hes lost for miles & hours. Great sceanery however and good drone footage.

The above is part 2 of 4; all are worth a look.

One word springs to mind: Preparation!

HILLARIOUS NAVIGATION PREPARATION (Not!).

Following on from my NAV thread I came across a Guy with a Harley Davidson Roadking on You-Tube.
He's touring through very remote parts of Wales, without a map; relying solely on his phone maps, in a vast area with no mobile coverage!
He ends up taking his Roadking down some torturous 'lanes' that Itchy Boots would think twice about on a CRF Honda!
Hats off to him for perserverance; but it is funny when hes lost for miles & hours. Great sceanery however and good drone footage.

The above is part 2 of 4; all are worth a look.

One word springs to mind: Preparation!
Looking forward to checking this one out for the scenery - thanks for the tip Adamc.

Back