Neck Bearing Sizes

Nooovie

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an 1983 XS650 frame and want to get new neck bearings for my newly acquired DNA springer. Are all the outer races the same size for all previous years? Or did they change throughout the XS production run?

Much thanks for any info :)

If i remember correctly (could be off), the tapered neck bearings would should fit all years. If not, then they're are two models, a early and later. I think the later was 73' and before, and 74' and newer.

What size is the DNA neck? if it is a 1'' you'll have to do some swapping to get it to fit. That's actually what i am doing right now.

Thanks BigJimmy for the suggestion I guess I deserve that. :D I'm usually a big fan of the search function, but the 83 if a bit of an oddball year, so this time I figured I would ask before I order an adapter from someone who wanted the outer race dims. I figured they are all the same but was looking for confirmation.

Meh, maybe I'll chance it, or rip it apart this afternoon and do some measurements (I still have my stock forks mounted).

Projectxs... thanks for your reply. Maybe we can share some info on this one.

There is a guy on e-Bay that sells an adapter which eliminates you having to piece together the neck bearing from XS outer races and Harley/trailer bearings. (info courtesy of the search function either here or Chop Cult.... ;) can't really remember) It is supposed to mount up with your stock bearings. Not exactly sure how it works, but only way to find out I guess. The price at which he sells it on eBay is way lower than what he is asking on his site. $39.99 versus $69.99.

Yamaha_Fork_Conversion_Adapters.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...99233&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2106wt_1139

http://www.brosmfg.com/kits.html#Yamaha_650_Special

My bike already has the TCBros tapered bearings installed so I would like to be able to use them.

If you are going to run a front brake, I also found this guy on eBay that sells an inexpensive bracket for the DNA for $32 that uses a stock Harley caliper.

Attachments

• 5e_1.jpg
    5e_1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back